lightbulb Changing the European Championship Qualifications systems

15 Dec 2016 16:08 - 15 Dec 2016 16:08 #79579 by Ankha

-> 10 people quality for being finalists on Friday.

You mean the top 10 players I suppose, unless there are two tournaments on Friday?

on Saturday,
those 25 people have access to a special high level tournament, should any of the 15 qualified players not show up, we would qualify additionnal people from Friday tournament based on ranking and they would of course also be qualified for day 2.

So basically, "Legendary Vampire" is played on saturday, and the Day 1 qualifier is split on two days.

Thoughts welcome.

Another possibility would be to have the Day 1 span on friday and saturday (so that's seven rounds + a final on saturday) and reward the 15 players you mentioned by granting them a GW (and a bye, they can't participate to the first round, or last one if you don't want to mess with the archon).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 15 Dec 2016 16:08 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2016 16:22 - 15 Dec 2016 16:24 #79580 by agzocgud
It was that kind of impact I was hoping for. Those five people will be very happy! How about the five that doesn´t get to play the next day? This may be an issue the first year, but when everybody understands the rules, it shouldn't be a problem.
I believe that you could dump the reward a bit more, perhaps winning a 50+ ECQ should reward 2 vp.

And I don't like the idea of the top players of last year automatically qualifies, each year should be a seperate tournament, and shouln't be based on old merits.

Overkill is highly underrated. You know, like in computor games and such.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2016 16:24 by agzocgud.

More
15 Dec 2016 16:38 #79581 by TapeTaChatte

You mean the top 10 players I suppose, unless there are two tournaments on Friday?[/qupte]

Yes correct

on Saturday,
those 25 people have access to a special high level tournament, should any of the 15 qualified players not show up, we would qualify additionnal people from Friday tournament based on ranking and they would of course also be qualified for day 2.

So basically, "Legendary Vampire" is played on saturday, and the Day 1 qualifier is split on two days.

=> Kind of, yes, you could say that

Thoughts welcome.

Another possibility would be to have the Day 1 span on friday and saturday (so that's seven rounds + a final on saturday) and reward the 15 players you mentioned by granting them a GW (and a bye, they can't participate to the first round, or last one if you don't want to mess with the archon).

The thing is: I would like a version of the tournament where people who would like to come at the EC but can't make it on Friday still have a shot or way or another.
Also if we took 7 rounds, would we change decks at some points?
But food for thoughts, come on, come on :-)

IC Organized play coordinator
Please contact me with any OP query using the mail in my profile

More
15 Dec 2016 16:40 #79582 by TapeTaChatte

It was that kind of impact I was hoping for. Those five people will be very happy! How about the five that doesn´t get to play the next day? This may be an issue the first year, but when everybody understands the rules, it shouldn't be a problem.
I believe that you could dump the reward a bit more, perhaps winning a 50+ ECQ should reward 2 vp.

And I don't like the idea of the top players of last year automatically qualifies, each year should be a seperate tournament, and shouln't be based on old merits.

well in your system as in mine, we both use other tournaments to influence a tournament at the EC (I the day 2, you the day 1).
If we don't want to merge tournaments one way or another, then we need either to stick on the old version of EC, or to open it, but that brings back the question of how to give incentive during ECQ then!

IC Organized play coordinator
Please contact me with any OP query using the mail in my profile

More
15 Dec 2016 23:24 #79583 by agzocgud
I like the idea of a tournament season, and when the finale of that season has concluded, players start at equal ground again.

Overkill is highly underrated. You know, like in computor games and such.

More
16 Dec 2016 11:58 #79587 by Lönkka

If you want my personal opinion, I would love to see a multi qualifying tournament for day 2:
-> 5 people automatically qualify from being in last year's EC final
-> 5 people automatically qualify from being in last year's FCQ final
-> 5 people automatically qualify from winning Grand prix during the year
(those 15 people don't have to play on friday)

Currently there has been only 1 Grad Prix, but what if there are multiple in the future?

Why make Grand Prix so special?

Why downplay EC Qualifiers`s?
(yeah, some have ridiculously low attendance, but I'm used to having 42-93 people participating in the Finnish ECQ)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds