file Anthololgy Set, or, FU Non EU players

03 Feb 2017 20:00 #80505 by Blooded Sand
Great set, excellent card selection, but if you don't live in Europe, unbuyable.
Excellent way to show how important certain regions are. Basically, VEKN and WW have now declared that if you don't live in Europe, and don't have enkil/sh/amazing collection in this set, you can go fuck yourselves.
Amazing. Makes me really happy to have supported VtES for so long. Oh, wait, no, that's not it......

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talonz, KzArashi, fredsct, jtroyve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2017 20:59 #80510 by Lönkka
You honestly think that VEKN should not have taken this chance to get cards printed again? I'm not absolutely sure if I can make it to EC this year, but I'm OVERJOYED that cards will be printed again. This is something we have hoped for worked for several years. Hopefully this'll lead into even more printed cards.

Certainly doesn't warrant a reaction you are now giving.

Regarding importance of regions, remember that EC has always been THE VTES event of the year, easily dwarfing the biggest events of other regions. Where else could this be done than in the event where we have maximum attendance?

Also, I seem to recall having met many a year at EC plenty of players from outside Europe.

Not that it should be in any way relevant to this, but with many a game the "World" Championships are organized in USA, usually in GenCon with all kinds of special exclusive stuff handed out either there or also in other big US conventions with no thought of international community. So if you're from States, you are now experiencing something players from other parts of the world have been experiencing for several decades.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elotar, Vlad, ilmale, squirrel, kushiel23

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
03 Feb 2017 21:26 #80516 by fredsct
While I would not have expressed the sentiment in as inflammatory a way as the original author, frankly, this was not a good decision. All the more so because it's my perception (and please, let me know if I'm wrong, I have NOT been following discussions on the VEKN forum over the years very closely at all) that the people who made the decision didn't consult the membership about it in any way, shape, or form. They just seemed to assumed the good will of the players.

I quit Dragon Dice altogether when the makers of that game started pulling this kind of crap. Granted, now that players can reproduce most cards for tournaments - except in some circumstances - this is not as bad as before that rule existed. But creating a limited supply of cards only available in such a profoundly unbalanced way is not a healthy thing for a CCG, IMO.

Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzArashi

More
03 Feb 2017 21:29 #80517 by fredsct

Where else could this be done than in the event where we have maximum attendance?

Well, no place. I think that's kind of the point: it should have been done in no place.

More
03 Feb 2017 21:52 #80521 by Lönkka
Fred, you are mistaken.

Membership has been polled.
National Coordinators have been discussing f2f at ECs (since it is the largest VTES gathering).

If you do not follow what is going on with the game besides very occasionally, then I don't think you should feel justified to complain about how things are handled.

But you are saying that since some people don't have a ready access to this set because they are not able to attend Berlin, VEKN shouldn't have arranged this printing of Anthology Set?

Even as it means that after several years we will now have cards printed again?
After which it should be easier to get even more cards printed?

Decision like these are not ones that are handled in internet forum where the discussions tend to degenerate withing few posts to something that is of no use to anything and rarely has anything to do with the original posting.

This is why we have Inner Circle members and perhaps to lesser degree National Coordinators. Especially the big boys of the IC know what they are doing and act with the game's best interest in mind. Without any pay or compensation for just the love of the game.

But hey, feel free to complain how they've done the players wrong by GETTING THE CARDS BACK INTO PRINT AGAIN! :D

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad, ilmale, kushiel23

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
03 Feb 2017 22:14 - 03 Feb 2017 22:15 #80523 by fredsct

Fred, you are mistaken.

Membership has been polled.
National Coordinators have been discussing f2f at ECs (since it is the largest VTES gathering).

If you do not follow what is going on with the game besides very occasionally, then I don't think you should feel justified to complain about how things are handled.

To the contrary, I am perfectly justified in doing this. Granted, my ignorance of what people are saying face-to-face in a place thousands of miles from where I play may impact my opinion. This is why I solicited people to fill me in on how this may have been discussed, given that I've never seen any hint of it online.

But that said, I still have a perfect right to my opinion. And I still think distributing limited printings of cards in Berlin was a very bad idea. GOSH - you're saying that many people who attended prior European Continental Championships thought it was a great idea to distribution special promos ONLY at another European Continental Championship in the future?!? How is THAT surprising? People are selfish and like to get special privileges. I still think that's bad idea to indulge.

But you are saying that since some people don't have a ready access to this set because they are not able to attend Berlin, VEKN shouldn't have arranged this printing of Anthology Set?

It's not merely the printing of the Anthology Set that's that problem. It's the distribution of the set in such an unfair manner. If they would have printed it and sold it mail order to whoever wanted to buy it, that would be perfectly fine.

Even as it means that after several years we will now have cards printed again?
After which it should be easier to get even more cards printed?

Absolutely. Creating discord and rancor among players is not worth the trouble. CCGs are not like normal games. This was discovered by Wizards of the Coast soon after they published MtG. Players who don't have special cards still have to play against players who do, so it's important to be at least reasonably fair about how cards are made available and distributed.

Decision like these are not ones that are handled in internet forum where the discussions tend to degenerate withing few posts to something that is of no use to anything and rarely has anything to do with the original posting.

But hey, feel free to complain how they've done the players wrong by GETTING THE CARDS BACK INTO PRINT AGAIN! :defe:

It isn't clear to me that's what the situation boils down to. I am completely in favor getting cards into print that are for general sale. On the other hand, I think printing cards that are distributed in an unfair, extremely limited way is the opposite of a good thing. And I sure don't see why we would ever have to accept the latter to get the former.

Fred
Last edit: 03 Feb 2017 22:15 by fredsct.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds