file New Player Reference Cards

08 Mar 2017 22:46 - 08 Mar 2017 22:47 #81041 by TwoRazorReign

Bleed actions are always Directed actions.

Correct, see rulebook:

6.1.1. Bleed
Bleeding is one of the most fundamental actions of the game. It is the basic means of removing your prey's pool. By default, your minion's bleed actions can be directed only at your prey.

That is a really vague way to explain a bleed action. Let's take "Can be directed only at your prey." First of all, "can be" implies that the bleed action "can be" something else, as in "can be not directed at any Methuselah instead." Also "only" is misplaced. The current placement is modifying "at," it should modify "be directed at." The sentence should read "can only be directed at your prey." There is a world of difference between "can be" and "can only be."

However, this is still a shitty way to explain things. The following is better: "By default, your minion's bleed actions are directed actions targeting your prey."

The reason why is that "directed action" and "undirected action" are well-defined terms in the rulebook. These well-defined terms absolutely need to be used when defining fundamental actions in the game.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 22:47 by TwoRazorReign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2017 00:15 #81043 by self biased
when i first joined my playgroup used to play cards like Govern as if they could bleed anyone, because they claimed that it just said (D) Bleed and didn't specify a target. Then I pointed out that Night Moves specifies targets, and the relevant passage in the rulebook. There were claims that the Jyhad Rulebook said some things, but whatever. They've been playing it the correct way since.

More
09 Mar 2017 03:28 #81048 by self biased
So, i've hit my six cards. I didn't get to address Damage at all, and Torpor. I could do two more cards? I think?

did I miss anything else major?

More
09 Mar 2017 12:33 #81052 by TwoRazorReign

when i first joined my playgroup used to play cards like Govern as if they could bleed anyone, because they claimed that it just said (D) Bleed and didn't specify a target. Then I pointed out that Night Moves specifies targets, and the relevant passage in the rulebook. There were claims that the Jyhad Rulebook said some things, but whatever. They've been playing it the correct way since.

Yeah, that (D) symbol creates more confusion for new players than anything else. In a game full of symbols, I think this is the least necessary and needs to go.

More
09 Mar 2017 13:19 - 09 Mar 2017 13:19 #81055 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic New Player Reference Cards

Yeah, that (D) symbol creates more confusion for new players than anything else. In a game full of symbols, I think this is the least necessary and needs to go.

I disagree. It creates confusion when it's not printed (eg. on some old editions) but when I started playing, it helped me a lot to know whether prey/predator could block, or just the target.
(BTW, (D) is a reminder. You can always figure out if an action is directed or not from the cardtext and rules).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Mar 2017 13:19 by Ankha.

More
09 Mar 2017 13:59 #81056 by TwoRazorReign
My experience is when (D) appears, people want to attach more meaning to it than a "reminder." The most common misinterpretation is "Oh, it has the (D) symbol. So I can target someone other than my prey." I understand the symbol can be helpful if it were explained properly to a new player by another experienced player. But, in situations where a playgroup consists of all new players trying to figure out the game, it does more harm than good.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds