lightbulb Library card re-redesign.

09 Aug 2017 13:04 #83015 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card re-redesign.

One way to have your color-coding could be to remove the old green marble color entirely from the cards, and just have the new card type-specific colors.. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before.

It doesn't work. I tried mono-colour versions (no green) and it was both bland and overwhelming. The green marble ties everything together and brings a lot in terms of theme and origin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2017 13:39 #83016 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Library card re-redesign.

Not that my opinion matters, but I'm not a fan of so many different colored rectangles on the card. Positioning and sizes of icons and text is fine, but I don't want my cards to be four to five different colors. Not a fan of the boxes either. The end result looks like a total mess.

One way to have your color-coding could be to remove the old green marble color entirely from the cards, and just have the new card type-specific colors.. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before.

I have to agree with this. Keep the marble for master cards only. But I know I am conservative - I always liked the V:TES design (1995) best :)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
09 Aug 2017 15:10 #83018 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Library card re-redesign.
To be fair, i'm not a fan of big empty top bar. I'm ok with marble for uniformity, but can we please keep marble to the right side so when we glance at our hands we don't see just marble here ? Can we have marble on majority of top bar, but card type color on crucial left sidebar?

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
09 Aug 2017 19:58 #83023 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card re-redesign.
Looking good.

However just wondering about the card type text under the card type symbol (also burnable for burn option). Why do this just this way? Why not also clan symbols?

My actual opinion on this:: the symbols will work just fine, no need to state to obvious...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
09 Aug 2017 21:36 #83025 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card re-redesign.

However just wondering about the card type text under the card type symbol (also burnable for burn option).

It's subtle enough to not be in your face when printed; yet clear enough for new players to read when learning the game.

Vampires now have the clan name on the card for a similar effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
10 Aug 2017 00:29 #83027 by self biased
Hey, Ke! Nice to see the finished products of the revision that you sent me ages ago!

Overall, I like this iteration much better than your previous one. It has more of the right 'feel' to it, and there are more Gothic elements like the vine that's growing around the side bar.

That being said I'm really left wanting to see more of the cardtype backgrounds. The background type is really hard to see on most cards, and you only really get a taste of the texture in the top left of the card before it fades into the green marble. I think I would prefer it if the name bar started off as green marble and then transitioned into the cardtype. Also, the transition seems to take a full third of the card. I think a shorter (say maybe a tenth of the distance) transition between foreground and background would make it look sharper. That way you'd still get the fade, but avoid having a muddy look.

I'd also make the side bar the cardtype background. It will still contrast if you start the name bar with the green marble. With the transparent text boxes so large, this is really the only place to actually see that texture on cards that don't have any conditional text. Is it my imagination or does the cardtype background fade into green marble slightly as I go from left to right on the card?

It seems like the only place we really get to see these cardtype textures are behind the text boxes. If you can't reduce the opacity of the text box without making text unreadable, perhaps consider backgrounds that are higher contrast. For example, the Retainer texture looks amazing, and can be easily identified behind the text box. It looks seriously fucking amazing. The Reaction looks good, too but has less contrast in the texture than the Retainer. The rest of the textures (Action, Action Modifier, Ally, Combat, Equipment, Master, and Political Action), lack internal contrast and are difficult to discern from each other without relying on color or the cardtype icon.

Speaking of Icons, HEY THERE LITTLE FELLA! I like the Master Icon, and you should totally change the Event Icon to match styles.

Other things:

On the right hand side, the corners are rounded and on the left side they aren't. I'm sure the asymmetry was intended, but it doesn't jive with me. it also changes the shape of the text box and that feels weird. One or the other will look fine.

Anchor the discipline symbol in the text box to the top left and let the text wrap underneath it. I realize that this is a deliberate aesthetic choice on your part that we've basically disagreed about from the beginning, just like using 'busier' textures over more subtle textures.

Great work! While I would have made some different choices, I still appreciate all of the hard work you've put in on this so far.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds