file VtES history

04 Mar 2018 12:52 #85539 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic VtES history
What did you all want Elotar to do? Put a "P > infinity +1" footnote to the original post because there was no test for causality? I don't get why anyone should be calling anybody else names ("troll").

That said, I also don't get the super defensive reply from Elotar to the "correlation not the same as causation" response. I interpreted that as constructive criticism. The discourse devolved from there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 13:45 - 04 Mar 2018 13:46 #85541 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic VtES history

That said, I also don't get the super defensive reply from Elotar to the "correlation not the same as causation" response. I interpreted that as constructive criticism. The discourse devolved from there.

What information consists in "correlation not the same as causation" response? That my post was not a valid scientific study of VtES tournament attendance? It's quite obvious that academic standards is not what we anybody aiming at when he is writing post at a game forum. And it's also obvious, that such approach will make any discussion here meaningless.

So this "response" was totally empty of any useful content as well as clearly aimed at discourage any useful conversation of the thread topic. This is like a definition of the trolling.

And hordes of such commenters are rushing any meaningful topic here. I don't really care about them, but I care about our game dying and them destroying any possibility to constructively discuss any solutions to this in an open form.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2018 13:46 by elotar.

More
04 Mar 2018 20:23 #85554 by Boris The Blade
Replied by Boris The Blade on topic VtES history

2. Being in/not in print is a factor, but not a defining one
3. WW promotion is not a factor either

Only if you assume that everything happens instantaneously. More realistically, it takes time for a new player to become a tournament organizer, so when the new player pipeline dries up, the effects on the number of organized tournaments will only be felt later.

More
04 Mar 2018 21:32 #85555 by brandonsantacruz
Replied by brandonsantacruz on topic VtES history

Elotar, the premise of your post lays out a timeline of things that happened and compare it to VTES attendance.

Brandon, intelligence is the ability to connect events and consequences. You can use other means to analyze "life" or exist like a flower with things "just happening" around, but I see nothing to discus in such worldview.

If you got something valuable to contribute, like other explanations to drop during gehenna and NoR releases, or peaks of tournament activity at the time when VtES was out of print or something else than we are ready to hear it.

If not, than your useless comments are actually a trolling here.

I'm getting educated on what intelligence is, that's great. I noticed that you didn't address the correlation/causation issue I brought up, so I'm going to stop feeding the troll now.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
05 Mar 2018 01:27 #85557 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic VtES history

What information consists in "correlation not the same as causation" response?

That there might be different causes for the percent changes from year to year other than the ones you provided in your post.

That my post was not a valid scientific study of VtES tournament attendance? It's quite obvious that academic standards is not what we anybody aiming at when he is writing post at a game forum. And it's also obvious, that such approach will make any discussion here meaningless.

Agreed. But, getting a response disagreeing with the assertions made in your post is completely reasonable. That's esentially what the "correlation is not the same as causation" post was.

So this "response" was totally empty of any useful content as well as clearly aimed at discourage any useful conversation of the thread topic. This is like a definition of the trolling.

That's not trolling. Trolling is posting on an internet forum with the intent of upsetting someone. I really don't think that was the intent with the "correlation/causation" reply.

And hordes of such commenters are rushing any meaningful topic here. I don't really care about them, but I care about our game dying and them destroying any possibility to constructively discuss any solutions to this in an open form.

So, there really was constructive discussion. From my perspective, your viewpoints are interesting, and definitely worth thinking about. But I agree with those that replied that your post is 100% conjecture. There could be any number of other reasons for those declines. Some people discussed an aging player base who can no longer commit to attending VTES events. While this is also conjecture, it's proof there's definitely constructive discussion happening here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz, Kraus, Bloodartist

More
05 Mar 2018 06:03 #85559 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic VtES history

Only if you assume that everything happens instantaneously. More realistically, it takes time for a new player to become a tournament organizer, so when the new player pipeline dries up, the effects on the number of organized tournaments will only be felt later.

So when do you think "pipeline dried up"? And why? And how it explains 2010-2013 dow-up-down-up picture?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds