file What exactly does WotC still have control over?

18 Apr 2018 19:23 #86257 by LivesByProxy
So White Wolf had purchased the rights to Vampire: the Eternal Struggle back in ~2000 or so, yes?

And the VEKN and crew have been trying to get VTES free from WotC ever since CCP let the license from WotC expire (the license being that whoever was printing the game could use the word "tap", yes?)

But SecretLibrary (still?) says that "all game symbols" are trademarks of WotC and CCP. Is this still the case? Did WW acquire those trademarks when they purchased the rights to publish VTES back in 2000? (I would assume "no" due to the wording on SecretLibrary.) Does Paradox have the rights or trademarks now, since they purchased WW from CCP?

Basically, how much more control does WotC have over VTES? (I don't want them to make any more money from Vampire, VTES, WhiteWolf, Paradox, or VEKN.)

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2018 19:39 #86260 by LivesByProxy
I guess "nothing" is the answer?

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
26 Apr 2018 14:54 #86342 by Borrelstein
I would not worry about any 'tap' patent by WotC, that patent would have lapsed by now. I think the other WOtC ' Vampire' patent was not even granted, patents are not a very good way to protect games concepts anyway.
Remaining rights are likely related to the copyrights for illustrations and card text and such, but such things are not registered in public places so hard to tell who holds them. I am sure the great people that started Black Chantry were aware that such risks need to be controlled first, so I would trust they have arranged these matters in cooperation with WW/Paradox before launching the operation.
Not for us players to worry about it, let's play!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
27 Apr 2018 09:28 #86350 by Bloodartist

I would not worry about any 'tap' patent by WotC, that patent would have lapsed by now. I think the other WOtC ' Vampire' patent was not even granted, patents are not a very good way to protect games concepts anyway.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds