question-circle Could VTES get something like Legacy Format (from Magic)?

08 Jun 2018 03:33 - 08 Jun 2018 03:34 #88020 by KzArashi
Most of the card games have a more free or malleable type of tournament.
Magic have the Legacy Format and back when Legend of the Five Rings still were produced by AEG, I played some Open Format tournaments.
Both of the above formats have in common the possibility to construct decks with cards from any and all of the editions and expansions ever released.

We don't have in VTES editions limitations, when constructing decks. But we get the group aspect when choosing the vampires for our deck cripty.

So, may question is: Will we get some day in the future, a "Open Format Tournament" without groups restrictions? And could some of the banned cards be allowed on that Open Format?

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 03:34 by KzArashi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 05:37 #88021 by Ankha
It's not under consideration for the time being.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 06:02 #88022 by cordovader

KzArashi wrote: Most of the card games have a more free or malleable type of tournament.
Magic have the Legacy Format and back when Legend of the Five Rings still were produced by AEG, I played some Open Format tournaments.
Both of the above formats have in common the possibility to construct decks with cards from any and all of the editions and expansions ever released.

We don't have in VTES editions limitations, when constructing decks. But we get the group aspect when choosing the vampires for our deck cripty.

So, may question is: Will we get some day in the future, a "Open Format Tournament" without groups restrictions? And could some of the banned cards be allowed on that Open Format?


There was a tournament organized in Paris last September with this exact rules:

- no grouping restriction
- no banned cards except “ante” cards and Madness of the Bard

Of course the tournament wasn’t official.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 08:20 #88024 by Bloodartist

cordovader wrote: There was a tournament organized in Paris last September with this exact rules:

- no grouping restriction
- no banned cards except “ante” cards and Madness of the Bard

Of course the tournament wasn’t official.


And how did it go?

"Do you believe in the power of the night?
If you want to go with me, refuse the light"
- Blutengel, Soultaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 12:22 #88031 by elotar
Actually what is really needed for VtES is "Type II" format ;)

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 12:31 #88033 by ReverendRevolver

elotar wrote: Actually what is really needed for VtES is "Type II" format ;)


No.

We are back in print, and have a grouping rule. Due to the nature of vtes, filler/wallpaper isn't printed each set. Mtg exists with a certain business model in mind where you keep putting out $400 a year to remain competitive, vtes has a different model where you buy what you need to build what you want, but your same cards from 20 years ago will still get you by.

While we could and should errata the junk and unplayable stuff and reprint it, there is no reason to remove options in deck construction from the game.

The only viable limiting format arguments were secondary market prices. This will become a non issue thanks to Black chantry.

Next please!


Oh, and "legacy formats" aren't super important. "As printed" jhyad/vtes drafts were interesting though.
While not an immediate priority from what I can guess, limited format support could be awesome. Imagine the next base set having draft text that matches first printing text. Could be interesting...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum