lock Card name change suggestion

17 Jul 2018 09:54 #88900 by cordovader
IMHO Terrorists is a much more offensive card than Gypsies.
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Jul 2018 09:56 #88901 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Card name change suggestion
I know people who were offended because there is a vampire called "Ganesh". Well, you'll always find someone offended because of something.
Today, someone complained vehemently about the rulebook because, for clarity, Methuselahs are referred to as "she" and vampires as "he". That someone is "enraged" about it. Duh? Enraged? Because of a convention used in a rulebook?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
More
17 Jul 2018 10:09 #88902 by Ratadin
Replied by Ratadin on topic Card name change suggestion
I gotta say that if Gypsy is actually understood as a slur by romani-people, it should be changed. It would be like having a card called "Nigger". Literally.

I understand that when something doesn't affect you directly, it's a pain to have to avoid it for the sake of others, but the whole "toughen up" argument doesn't work when we are talking about racism, specially if you haven't felt racism in your whole live.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Molloy, self biased, Tendoncutter
More
17 Jul 2018 10:41 #88904 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Card name change suggestion

You would like to excuse racial slurs, wouldn't you, you russian alt right troll?

This one is our best:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigaz

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
More
17 Jul 2018 12:04 #88906 by Malachy
Replied by Malachy on topic Card name change suggestion

I gotta say that if Gypsy is actually understood as a slur by romani-people, it should be changed. It would be like having a card called "Nigger". Literally.

It is nothing like the "n" word. I advise you to do some research before jumping into such conversations. I have empathy as well, but it is far from that, and restraining/erasing/overruling the past is actually more barbaric and simple-minded, than empathetic in my opinion. VtES also have Rom gypsies and Tsigane by the way.

NC of Hungary

///
More
17 Jul 2018 12:07 #88907 by TwoRazorReign

I know people who were offended because there is a vampire called "Ganesh". Well, you'll always find someone offended because of something.
Today, someone complained vehemently about the rulebook because, for clarity, Methuselahs are referred to as "she" and vampires as "he". That someone is "enraged" about it. Duh? Enraged? Because of a convention used in a rulebook?

That's an interesting anecdote. The perceived gender bias in the "he/she-vampire/methuselah" convention personally doesn't bother me. What does bother me is how much awkward language use of this convention introduces. I mean, the rulebook includes a paragraph explaining how this convention works. If one has to explain a convention being used in a written piece to avoid confusion, that should be a sign to look for a better solution...
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds