file Mulligans in VTES?

18 Jul 2018 19:32 #88983 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic Mulligans in VTES?

There are Wider View for the crypt, Deal with the Devil for the library and a thread hear some time ago about best ways to get rid of spare masters.

Some of us don’t have cards that old. Never even seen Deal with the Devil played.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2018 20:05 #88989 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Mulligans in VTES?

There are Wider View for the crypt, Deal with the Devil for the library and a thread hear some time ago about best ways to get rid of spare masters.

Some of us don’t have cards that old. Never even seen Deal with the Devil played.

It sells for like 10 cents (and can easily be reprinted in upcoming basic set by BC if there really is a demand for a "Mulligan") so looks like it's not a good reason to introduce new rules. ;)

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
18 Jul 2018 20:08 #88990 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Mulligans in VTES?
It's very basic rule that change proportions of card in the deck, while at the same time don't touch any current card.

It's also very easy to teach as it's basically what you do in most games like hearthstone, horus heresy:legions, tesl and other clones.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
18 Jul 2018 20:15 #88992 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Mulligans in VTES?

It's very basic rule that change proportions of card in the deck, while at the same time don't touch any current card.

It's also very easy to teach as it's basically what you do in most games like hearthstone, horus heresy:legions, tesl and other clones.

It all steal not a reason to introduce a rule. VtES is overbloated with rules already, we should eliminate them, not other way around.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
18 Jul 2018 20:23 #88993 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Mulligans in VTES?

It all steal not a reason to introduce a rule. VtES is overbloated with rules already, we should eliminate them, not other way around.

theres a "In Soviet Russia" joke somewhere in here, but i cant quite reach it. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
18 Jul 2018 20:25 #88994 by DJHedgehog
Replied by DJHedgehog on topic Mulligans in VTES?

Personally, I don't really like it, and I've gotten screwed by bad draws as much as the next guy. I like risk/reward in deck building, and IMO it mitigates that too much with how it would change card ratios.

Instead of running 4 Zillahs, for instance, how about I just run 2 and my odds of getting one early are almost the same with a mulligan, and also have less chance of drawing one late. I know that probably sounds great to some of you guys, but I think that it takes too much out of the importance of chance vs. predictability..

It would change ratios, but I don't think as wildly as you're assuming. In a 90 card deck, you would still want to run a lot of a card you really want to see early, and are not at all guaranteed for it to happen.

Each copy of a card in a 90 card deck is about 1.1% chance of drawing, which increases as each card is drawn (though by very small margins). One copy of a card in a 60 card deck starts at a 1.5% chance of drawing (increasing to 1.8% by the seventh card). A full-shuffle mulligan wouldn't increase those odds at all, but simply reset your chances of drawing. You're really just giving a chance to avoid a bad draw or draw the combo.

;)

Mulligans break deck construction in a half - you should aim for a completely different card ratios in such environment.

The "deal with the devil" argument is invalid for the purposes of this conversation, by virtue of having to draw it. That's why it never gets played. Plus you have to discard your hand which may not be a winning strategy.

Same with Wider View, with the added caveat that wider view doesn't fix your crypt in every situation. It helps when you play multiple copies of 1 or 2 vamps, so a great add to "all star" decks to get your non-stars after you get the vamp you want.

It may be a language barrier issue, so I'm not trying to nit-pick you, but it definitely doesn't "break deck construction in half". As stated above, your odds don't increase to see a specific card, it just lets your roll the dice again.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds