file Old players reluctance to play with post HttB cards

24 Jul 2018 20:58 #89291 by TwoRazorReign

What does it take to convince someone that they're genuine? I guess I don't understand where the reticence to use the PDF cards comes from.

Agreed.

I would like to hear 'genuity' elaborated on a bit more, if you would, 1uck.

When there was no commercial publisher, VEKN continued to maintain the TWDA, host forums, card lists and update both player register and tournament rankings.

With no one else out there, I think VEKN did a remarkable job.

Of course the .pdf sets are amateurish, but only in a sense that they were not professional. Professionality includes making money, which was the only 'amateur' thing here.

At the time, and at the moment as well, VEKN was actually the highest authority, if authorities are what you're looking for.

Furthermore, many feel that the power level and design on many VEKN designed cards are of better quality than WW era produced.

I think you both are missing something obvious with the PDF sets: printing images on regular paper, cutting them out, and inserting them over a real card does not scream "official and genuine." It screams "DIY fan set." I think that's where the claims of "amateurish appearance" are coming from.

I think the reticence to use PDF sets should not come as a surprise, nor should it be a surprise when people express similar attitudes to, for example, the tap/lock change, or the recent rules changes, or even the decision to ban Anthelios. This is no different than when some players bristled at the Jyhad/VTES name change way back when. Either the dissatisfied players will eventually be on board with the changes or move on. Can't please everybody...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2018 21:59 #89293 by self biased

I think you both are missing something obvious with the PDF sets: printing images on regular paper, cutting them out, and inserting them over a real card does not scream "official and genuine." It screams "DIY fan set." I think that's where the claims of "amateurish appearance" are coming from.

I think the reticence to use PDF sets should not come as a surprise, nor should it be a surprise when people express similar attitudes to, for example, the tap/lock change, or the recent rules changes, or even the decision to ban Anthelios. This is no different than when some players bristled at the Jyhad/VTES name change way back when. Either the dissatisfied players will eventually be on board with the changes or move on. Can't please everybody...

It's worth mentioning that there's no product in stores heralding the game's return. There's been a bunch of things changed, with no handy "what's new" packet, and just things posted "on the Internet" make it seem like this is one of those fan made sets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoRazorReign

More
24 Jul 2018 22:18 #89294 by ReverendRevolver
Just a quick google of "vtes in print "

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1981552/vtes-back-print&ved=2ahUKEwiiq-T44LjcAhULSq0KHS5RBKkQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2fiPmFeYP5i5qSyEJLdbOU

But yea, Ben JUST stated in this thread that those sets will see print, and he answered a question of what's more next in another thread. No "official " announcement have happened because things are subject to change. Frankly, artists deadlines are always a huge variable. I haven't painted or drawn in years, but I'm about to dig out supplies and crank out some backup stuff to "gift" to whatever set they need it for. Just incase...
But the Sabbat precons SCREAM brick and mortar appeal, so they will exist soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
24 Jul 2018 23:45 #89297 by 1uck
As ICL mentioned, different groups play differently. There shouldn't necessarily be an expectation of playing by VEKN standards when outside of a VEKN event. Any playing of the game should be encouraged, just make sure everyone knows which game they're playing. I don't mind seeing the new cards at the table, but I personally won't use them in my decks until they're physically printed.

I'm happy to hear those sets will receive physical releases. Having Black Chantry acknowledge them and bring them under its own umbrella sounds great.

More
25 Jul 2018 00:26 #89298 by self biased

I'm happy to hear those sets will receive physical releases. Having Black Chantry acknowledge them and bring them under its own umbrella sounds great.

More
25 Jul 2018 00:37 #89299 by 1uck
Thanks for not contribution to the discussion and being an ass at the same time. Such a talent.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds