file [proposal] 'New' play area

09 Aug 2018 14:21 #89842 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic [proposal] 'New' play area

I understand that creating a new area may be troublesome, but the idea is to simply codify that convention. If you can do that without creating a new area, it would be even better - I just failed to see an easy way to do that.
I can see advantages in clarity mainly for combat and stealth/intercept interactions, both of which are very common in the game.

I tried adding a "recruit" area for allies to indicate they can't act, but it became clear it was unnecessary. That is why I am not keen to add an area for the same reasons.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2018 04:32 - 10 Aug 2018 04:32 #89869 by Boris The Blade
I don't believe we need a new area either. However, we could make it a rule that all cards stay in play as long as they affect the game state. That would open a new design space for burning transient cards after they have been played.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 04:32 by Boris The Blade.

More
10 Aug 2018 09:22 #89874 by skimflux
Replied by skimflux on topic [proposal] 'New' play area
To leave cards in play would impact several things (Reality Mirror, Spiritual Guidance, etc), that's why I proposed it as a new subarea of the ash heap - this way it would not change any existing mechanics, but it would help to clarifiy the game state and could still open a new design space for future cards.

More
10 Aug 2018 09:24 - 10 Aug 2018 09:29 #89875 by Bloodartist

Correct. Only action cards are in limbo, waiting for resolution. All other cards are resolved immediately.

We could make change the rules so that cards that have an ongoing effect on the game state (such as carrion crows, etc) would be in limbo (kept in play) until the effect ends. This would make it easier to track game state. VTES has an awful lot of triggers and effects like this to track, and I feel that constantly checking and rechecking these to ensure you don't forget anything during the game will lead to slower play overall. Having things to help people track these in the heat of the game would probably make the game proceed more smoothly. People do this already, even though it isn't official.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 09:29 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds