file Tournament Finals and Seating Selection

12 Aug 2018 06:37 - 13 Aug 2018 06:42 #89908 by Kushiel

kschaefer wrote: Have higher seed only affect seating.


After questioning this for about fifteen years, I've still yet to see a compelling argument for why seeding has any effect on seating in the final round.

I understand the logic that players should be rewarded for doing well in preliminary rounds, but...getting to the finals at all is the reward for playing well in the preliminary rounds. Having the final round's seating be determined by (for a "completely hypothetical" example) the results of preliminary rounds - which were themselves determined by who was lucky enough to have easy opponents on those preliminary tables - has always struck me as weird.

If final tables are meant to be a competition among the five players who did best at the tournament, why is seating there determined by prior wins, rather than in the same random fashion that determined their seating in the pre-final rounds?
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 06:42 by Kraus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2018 13:31 #89912 by Orpheus

Kushiel wrote:

kschaefer wrote: Have higher seed only affect seating.


After questioning this for about fifteen years, I've still yet to see a compelling argument for why seeding has any effect on seating in the final round.

I understand the logic that players should be rewarded for doing well in preliminary rounds, but...getting to the finals at all is the reward for playing well in the preliminary rounds. Having the final round's seating be determined by (for a "completely hypothetical" example) the results of preliminary rounds - which were themselves determined by who was lucky enough to have easy opponents on those preliminary tables - has always struck me as weird.

If final tables are meant to be a competition among the five players who did best at the tournament, why is seating there determined by prior wins, rather than in the same random fashion that determined their seating in the pre-final rounds?


Agreed. On one hand it's interesting strategically to choose your position, on the other there's no real reason to have that choice in the first place and it induces other things like lurking etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 16:10 #89964 by Kushiel

Orpheus wrote: Agreed. On one hand it's interesting strategically to choose your position, on the other there's no real reason to have that choice in the first place and it induces other things like lurking etc.


It's quite strange to me that the climatic finish of a series of VTES games is the one time when the random seating rule of every other VTES game is violated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 17:33 - 13 Aug 2018 17:34 #89969 by Bloodartist

Kushiel wrote: It's quite strange to me that the climatic finish of a series of VTES games is the one time when the random seating rule of every other VTES game is violated.


Tournament seatings are not random. Archon actually follows a very deterministic table to determine seating out of what I understand is order of registration.

Personally I would much prefer if the seatings were properly random, since it would most likely create less issues.

"Do you believe in the power of the night?
If you want to go with me, refuse the light"
- Blutengel, Soultaker
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 17:34 by Bloodartist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 18:56 #89972 by Khalid1988

Bloodartist wrote:

Kushiel wrote: It's quite strange to me that the climatic finish of a series of VTES games is the one time when the random seating rule of every other VTES game is violated.


Tournament seatings are not random. Archon actually follows a very deterministic table to determine seating out of what I understand is order of registration.

Personally I would much prefer if the seatings were properly random, since it would most likely create less issues.


Not true. The order players are inserted into Archon can be randomized, thus making the seating on first round random. The rest of the rounds follow Archon's matrix of ideal swapping of people from table to another based on number of rounds and amount of players.

Prince of Tikkurila, known as Teryn in Lackey CCG
File Attachment:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snodig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 20:37 - 13 Aug 2018 20:40 #89973 by Ankha

Bloodartist wrote:

Kushiel wrote: It's quite strange to me that the climatic finish of a series of VTES games is the one time when the random seating rule of every other VTES game is violated.


Tournament seatings are not random. Archon actually follows a very deterministic table to determine seating out of what I understand is order of registration.

Personally I would much prefer if the seatings were properly random, since it would most likely create less issues.

I beg your pardon? Having twice (or three times) the same deck as a prey or predator, starting the three rounds with 1 transfer, playing only 4 player tables when you could play some 5 players table are real issues that the archon manage to solve.
Random seating "creating less issues" is completely absurd.

Unless you are talking about the final table?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 20:40 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 1.761 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum