file Keywords and eliminating redundancy

22 Nov 2018 14:44 - 22 Nov 2018 14:46 #91967 by TwoRazorReign

Wake has officially been referred to as a "keyword." See below excerpt from the anthology set announcement.

Sure, but it has no meaning rule-wise. I could have called it a "special term". We don't need currently a grammar of all VTES words ("Is 'bleed' a keyword?", "What is the nature of 'during' in 'during X do Y'?")

I am going to put my editor hat on here for a second. Please understand what I am about to say is not meant as negative criticism from one stranger on the internet to another, but rather a professional piece of advice I would give a client: If you call something a keyword, then you are ascribing special meaning to it that should not exist in VTES, whether intentional or not. Further, calling something a keyword (wake), then saying that something else is not a keyword (limited), doubles the problem, because now you are introducing two special meanings that should not exist in VTES ("keyword" and "not a keyword"). Therefore I would have suggested not using the term "keyword" to describe "wake" at all. I would call both wake and limited "special terms," and never call them anything else, because, as you said above, this is what they actually are in VTES. This would have made the language used in the announcement where "wake" was introduced consistent with how things appear in the rulebook (there is a glossary with the heading "Special Terms," with definitions that clarify the functions of those special terms). Thus, by using "special term" in the announcement instead of "keyword," the announcement would have been consistent with how people understand terms in VTES. I hope this makes sense...
Last edit: 22 Nov 2018 14:46 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds