file Proxy cards in tournaments

25 Feb 2019 15:52 #93659 by gymim
From the below link and copied text, the phrase "color-copy of the original card" is used. If i print out a deck from "amaranth.vtes.co.nz" using it's current formatting, instead of the "use old cards" option, would that still fall within parameters (given that it's sleeved and colored and has a vtes hard for rigidity)?

www.vekn.net/tournament-rules

4.5. Proxy Cards
As long as the game is not under production, the organizer of an event that is neither a National Championship nor a Continental Championship can choose to allow proxy cards in his or her event. For events where proxy cards are allowed, several points apply:

there are no limit to the number of proxy cards a deck can have
every proxy card must be a color-copy of the original card, on standard paper
the quality of the print must allow the reading of the illustrator's name
the organizer must mark the event as 'allowing proxy cards' on the VEKN calendar"
As for VEKN-issued cards, proxy-cards would have to be inserted in an opaque sleeve (along the rest of the crypt and/or library), before a regular VTES card.

Otherwise, the use of proxy cards is not permitted, unless a judge provides these cards. If a card becomes excessively worn through play or accidentally damaged in the current sanctioned tournament, or if the owner of the card must leave prior to the conclusion of a game, the judge may provide a proxy replacement card or (in the case of damaged or worn cards) require the player to sleeve all of his or her cards before play continues.

When a judge creates a proxy for a player, it is included in the player's deck. The original card is kept close at hand during the game, if possible. When the proxy is in play, replace it with the original. When it returns to the player's deck/hand, swap it with the proxy. This replacement method helps ensure that the opponent is able to clearly see the intended card and to avoid confusion.

The term "proxy" includes counterfeit cards or any card that is not a genuine game card. Counterfeiters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2019 16:30 #93663 by self biased
at the end of the day, it's up to the organizer of that particular tournament to allow Amaranth layout cards. I was able to use them in a tournament a while ago. Beware, though, that the Amaranth layout doesn't always have the current card text.

More
25 Feb 2019 16:37 #93664 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Proxy cards in tournaments
The funny thing is that even the 'old layout' versions of cards from Amaranth are not, and I quote:

"[E]very proxy card must be a color-copy of the original card, on standard paper--"

Emphasis mine.

There is currently no easy-to-use web tool to print proxies with color-copies of the original cards. You'd have to have the original first hand and then photo copy them.

Strictly speaking nothing from Amaranth could be used as a proxy.

They are easy to use and look wonderful though, so I would slap any tournament organizer with a medium-sized trout if they allowed proxies but disallowed Amaranth's 'old layouts'.

Within the guidelines however, organizers should not actually allow Amaranth printed cards at all.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
25 Feb 2019 22:07 - 25 Feb 2019 22:08 #93672 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Proxy cards in tournaments

Beware, though, that the Amaranth layout doesn't always have the current card text.

The Amaranth layouts have the latest text from the Revised card text:
www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/vtescsv_utf8_revised.zip

The Classic layouts have the latest test from the Official card text:
www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/vtescsv_utf8.zip

The system to manage this has been greatly improved — meaning that it's much quicker to run updates when either of the above files change. Although it is a shame that they don't exist as live documents, ie. Google Sheets.

Previously the classic card layout used the old images from Lackey which were actual card scans. However even Lackey has moved on from this as they are difficult to maintain and in a lot of cases plainly wrong.

In the last official card text update 214 cards were changed:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S9xsL9XFUPY1AtFFtSnxG-bOZSlEp6MQBOTCq3IU7_M

Since the source of "truth" for VTES cards is the Official CSV then I would argue that the benefits of using the latest card text out weigh the negatives.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2019 22:08 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Kraus

More
26 Feb 2019 08:07 - 26 Feb 2019 08:09 #93686 by Bloodartist
I was under impression that the issue with Amaranth is its symbol, which is not an official expansion symbol. Thus it clearly marks an Amaranth-printed card to not be a "color copy of an official card" even if it uses old layout. This may be rules nitpicking but its logical.

ps. Personally I screenshot cards out of Lackey, paste them into photoshop and adjust the cards correct size then print it. Result is imo a tournament-eligible proxy thats also higher quality than those printed from Amaranth apparently(we've been doing some comparing).

pps. Now if only we could get rid of that silly green text "click to see other side" in some lackey cards... It looks so silly when printed.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 08:09 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds