file Got the New 5th Edition Starter!

27 Nov 2020 22:43 #101164 by Yipe
I just picked up the 5th Edition starter set today and I'm pretty excited to give these decks a test run! Two friends also bought the starter set and we're going to play a 3-player match tonight (remotely, of course).

The box itself is smaller but thicker than I expected, and the cardboard is of better quality (similar to FFG's older board game boxes). It's also surprisingly heavy. Overall, the outside art and presentation look fantastic so color me impressed.

Has anyone else grabbed the 5E starter yet? If so, what's your take?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2020 15:59 #101165 by Walt
Just got mine, still inside it's transparent film ... until I find a tranquillizer dart gun for my kids

Stefano "Walt" Calzighetti
Prince of Pordenone (Italy)

More
28 Nov 2020 18:31 #101166 by Walt
In my box the Ventrue helpsheet is missing.

Am I the only one with this problem?

except for this the box is wonderfull

Stefano "Walt" Calzighetti
Prince of Pordenone (Italy)

More
28 Nov 2020 20:43 #101167 by Yipe
I double checked mine and all the help sheets are there.

I'm actually going to livestream an "unboxing" of the starter set on my local game store's Discord channel today at 1:30 PST (11/28). We've got some people interested in VtES, but they want to learn a bit more about it before taking a $100 plunge. I'm going to treat it more like a 5-player board game with deck building options than a standard CCG.

More
29 Nov 2020 01:38 #101170 by Yipe
Played my first game using the new starters!

We had: Malkavian>Ventrue>Toreador

I piloted the Ventrue deck, and I was the first to be ousted (taking 9 damage in a single turn, the majority from a Foreshadowing Destruction). The Malkavian player just wrecked us. He managed to bring out 3 princes after playing several unblocked Governed the Unaligned (no one drew into any meaningful intercept). This shut down my political power for most of the match, with Sybren passing my only successful vote all game (a Parity Shift split between the Toreador player and myself).

Even unlocking my vamps with Freak Drive and superior Majesty, the Malkavians overwhelmed my defenses with their stealthy power bleeds, and a few crucial Spying Missions neutralized my Deflections. The Toreador player made a valiant last stand, but lacked the counter bleed or combat punch to make a dent in the Malkav hordes and fell soon thereafter.

All in all it was a fast and fun game. The starter decks are straightforward and effective, and the cards aren't overly complex. This makes them ideal for deck-building beginners or just a group of friends playing the starter set as a slightly more complex board game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lip

More
30 Nov 2020 13:40 #101177 by Lönkka

The starter decks are straightforward and effective, and the cards aren't overly complex. This makes them ideal for deck-building beginners or just a group of friends playing the starter set as a slightly more complex board game.

Seems like the way the box was designed worked rather well then!

Just out of curiosity: are you a new, newish or an old player?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds