file Cost for printing cards (PoD/LCG/...)

22 Nov 2012 10:36 #41432 by Randy

I believe that it still is very important to get stores to start selling and demoing our game.

Why would they do that? There is no money to be made by them at any level. If I owned a game store, I certainly wouldn't demo a product for which it was impossible to profit on.

There is no profit if a singel player can buy cards from the producing company at the same price as the stores sell the cards for. But if the producing company sells to stores for less then individual player (and the tax reduction of beeing a store at least in sweden) there will be profit involved.

Lönkka it is sad and also true that stores have to choose what to stock and so on but at least in our biggest lokal store they have some vampire cards left and want us vampire players to stay play and hold events...

It is important for the survival of the game in how the new producing company decides to print cards. And I just dont believe that individual players should be able to choose singels they want. Rarities are a part of the game that at least I enjoy (me beeing a CCG fan and all) and want to see left i the game one way or another.

Prince of Lidingö

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2012 11:26 #41439 by Lönkka
So the prices for the cards to players wouldneed to be higher to take into account the discounts given to stores.

If you really want to do this, the discounts would have to be industry standard, meaning the PoD cards for players would become stupidly high.

I mean, look at the "starter" prices already quoted. How much more unfeasible we want the prices to be?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
22 Nov 2012 11:46 #41440 by Ankha
Assuming the price of each card lowers when you print huge quantities of them, a solution I'd subscribe to would be that VEKN creates "packs" (as for LCG) they would re-sell to players.
Those packs could be thematic (clan-based etc.) or discipline-based. We can even think of "Starter packs" that would be ready to play
This would ensure the lower price for everyone and allow new players to start decks and old players to complete collections.

This requires from VEKN:
- to advance some money
- to design packs
- to package them (and fill them manually)
- to take orders to ship in the world.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
22 Nov 2012 15:00 #41446 by brandonsantacruz
Trying to cater to the "FLGS" is futile, might as well cater to unicorns. How many are there and are they worth worrying about? If the game is picked up by a publisher, then I'd let them worry about that. If there was some secondary product that people want and a store *could* carry, nothing is stopping them from buying it anyway.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Juggernaut1981

More
22 Nov 2012 16:17 #41448 by Boris The Blade
In UK, we don't care about stores: we play in pubs anyway :P

More
22 Nov 2012 17:32 #41449 by cordovader
It's not really true that stores won't be willing to sell a game that players can buy directly to the manufacturer.

LCGs usually have both options, buying it at the store or directly to the manufacturer (at least for fix sets of cards). The thing is that the industrial price for the reseller has to be lower, so that the direct-purchase price and the store price are the same (or similar).

Just check FFGs store:
store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=274

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds