file VTES Rulebook - Design Ideas

06 Oct 2015 08:28 #73523 by Ke.
I'm not too fond of any covers. Perhaps #3 if I had to pick.

Prefer rulebook #1 — although would prefer a stark white background (much clearer and less dated).

Also font wise, it would be good to try and use consistent fonts across all media / content.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2015 11:13 #73525 by Ankha

Also font wise, it would be good to try and use consistent fonts across all media / content.

Some fonts are good for print, some other better for screen.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
07 Oct 2015 08:19 #73546 by Sérgio

Some fonts are good for print, some other better for screen.

This.

I also prefer cover #3.

Is rulebook #2 spreads, or just horizontal A4 pages?

What's the format of the pages? Seems A4.

I prefer rulebook #4 seems to be the less cluttered one and it shares an simpler background with #3. The less clutter and distractions, the better for the reader.
It also has simpler and lighter ornaments and typography, which seems the way to go in a rulebook (again, the less distractions the better).

Ginés has a point though, as the interior of rulebook #5 is the one that best matches the cover.

More
07 Oct 2015 17:02 #73557 by gcwilson67
Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to have a look at my designs. I really welcome the feedback and will take the suggestions made into consideration.

The format is A4, though I have thought about using a letter sized (215.9mm x 279.4mm) page, however, A4 would make more sense.

Rulebook #2 is horizontal, as I thought this would be more appropriate for viewing on screen.

I agree that the cleaner page backgrounds would be visually better, as well as keep the finished file size as small as possible - helpful when viewed on an ipad or similar device. It will also make it a little more ink friendly, should anyone want to print it.

I do have one thing to ask though, so I apologise if this is out of line, but would it be possible to use the font used for the Disciplines and other game icons? The pdf's of Danse Macabre and The Unaligned list it as the AnkhaVTES font. A google search brings up a webpage ankha-vcm, but the source path does not have a link to the .ttf file.
Using a font, instead of images of each icon, would make things a lot easier. If anyone knows how to gain access to the font file, I would really appreciate the help!

In the meantime, I will work on refining the layouts and hope to have them posted in the next week or so.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, self biased, Sérgio

More
09 Nov 2015 18:17 #74165 by gcwilson67
Hi

First draft of the complete VTES rulebook is here, sorry that it's taken longer than I anticipated

www.dropbox.com/s/1cu3vjabk86cob3/VTES%20Rulebook%20071115.pdf?dl=0

There are still a couple of things to add, like the index and the Imbued appendix and I may re-design the cover (perhaps by using an image from one of the recent expansions) but, on the whole, it's pretty much done.
The order of the rulebook follows that of the most recent printed version and the online rules. Personally I feel that the rules could do with a slight adjustment/re-structure but I am not sure how the VTES community would feel about that…

If there is anything that people feel needs changing or adding please let me know.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, self biased

More
09 Nov 2015 20:10 #74172 by Ankha
It looks good, but for the terrible card scans. I'd probably split the disciplines in two groups, "standard" and "expert".

Standard: animalism, auspex, celerity, dementation, dominate, fortitude, obfuscate, obtenetration, potence, presence, protean, thaumaturgy, vicissitude

Expert: the rest (mainly bloodlines & clan-disciplines).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds