file Are official tournaments possible in online play?

06 Jul 2011 04:29 #5909 by drstrange26
I was reading through the VEKN rules on running tournaments and I found no issues that could restrict online play. As long as VEKN numbers and play was observed, The LackeyCCG has a save functions on games so even if a server crashed it could still be replayed. What are people's opinions on having a real time online tourneyment for VTES? Is it even possible?

What would have to happen to make it sanctioned?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 06:11 #5914 by KevinM
I'd hope that such a tournament would never become rated, since you cannot police cheating. That by itself makes the online tool unusable for rated play.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
06 Jul 2011 06:29 #5916 by drstrange26
It would be work for sure. But I believe if you had a judge/observer at every server table. That cheating could be elimated to the point the actually cards wont be changed. Advisors in person or someone actually taking the keyboard over can be a big problem if someone chose to do that. I bring this up because with a worldwide market that VTES has online play could bring more players into the market. User authentication becomes a major deal as well. That doesn't mean we should avoid it entirely. I am also interested in what your definition of 'cheating' is, because online I really think the actually play area can be policied. However user authentication requires alot of work.

More
06 Jul 2011 06:39 #5917 by Ankha
Games are much longer online because you lose time manipulating the game area. Chat isn't great either, and you can't be sure there is no secret agreements.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
06 Jul 2011 07:06 #5920 by drstrange26
I was thinking more video conference than chat. Play online with video and audio feeds.
This should elimate coaching and secret deals prior to game cannot be judged
During game collusion via text or chat takes time, and would slow down play to the point of being observable
Time rules could be adjusted to take into consideration this type of play.
The rules do call for requested breaks etc. and additional time added by judges.
But I do understand your points and it wouldn't replace offline play.
But would bring together groups across the world.

And most of all give isolated players a way to still get involved and get some experience to qualify.

More
07 Jul 2011 22:40 - 07 Jul 2011 22:50 #6019 by koko Loco
RE:LackeyCCG is there are decent sized player base these days? Also are the majority of players from Europe or USA? I used to play a very long time ago and always had probs getting a game, because of my timezone and strange working hours.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2011 22:50 by koko Loco.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds