file New set in 2012

25 Nov 2011 19:15 #15976 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Re: New set in 2012

How do they hear about tournaments in the first place? The same channels are likely to buzz about the new set as well.

Good point. I have seen it happen fairly frequently that people show up to tournaments and don't know current card texts, which sets have been released recently, etc, and it was specifically those people I was thinking of. No idea where they find out about tourneys in the first place, though I know it's happened at Origins once or twice that someone was passing by and said, "People still play this game?" and end up playing in a tournament.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2011 19:57 #15984 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: New set in 2012

I have seen it happen fairly frequently that people show up to tournaments and don't know current card texts, which sets have been released recently, etc, and it was specifically those people I was thinking of.

It would be good practice for tournament organizers to attach the press release associated with the new 2012 set once it arrives. That way potential attendees would be forewarned and forearmed.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
25 Nov 2011 19:57 #15985 by johannes
Replied by johannes on topic Re: New set in 2012

How do they hear about tournaments in the first place? The same channels are likely to buzz about the new set as well.

Good point. I have seen it happen fairly frequently that people show up to tournaments and don't know current card texts, which sets have been released recently, etc, and it was specifically those people I was thinking of. No idea where they find out about tourneys in the first place, though I know it's happened at Origins once or twice that someone was passing by and said, "People still play this game?" and end up playing in a tournament.

Yeah but those people even didn't know new sets when they were printed, so what is the point?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
25 Nov 2011 20:03 #15989 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Re: New set in 2012

Yeah but those people even didn't know new sets when they were printed, so what is the point?

True. Probably the word-of-mouth will be enough press for people who care. I was just curious if there were any plans to promote the set to folks other than the choir, so to speak. Like I said, I doubt it'll matter much, but one of the reasons to print the set is to help new players (I thought it was, anyway?), so I wondered how word was going to get to them about it. Might be that I was conflating "players who are new to the game but play with an established player base" and "a group of people all getting into the game now."

More
25 Nov 2011 20:20 #15990 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: New set in 2012
I've already been spruiking it at my FLGS.
If the VEKN weren't doing this already... it may be worth making a poster that could be used at FLGS's to let people know there will be a new set. Maybe not every FLGS will be happy about advertising something they can't sell... but maybe they will.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
25 Nov 2011 22:36 #16005 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: New set in 2012

I was just curious if there were any plans to promote the set to folks other than the choir, so to speak.

Other than Robert Goudie issuing a press release and the Princes putting up a flyer, or otherwise announcing the information, at their LFGS, how and where else *could* the set be announced?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds