file The future of V:TES

14 Sep 2012 04:33 #36755 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: The future of V:TES
The wonderful thing about print on demand, is the versatility.

-You can have "choose your own cards" printing. (will probably have a baseline of how many cards to get at a time)

-You can have random boosters (for drafts!)

-You can have precon starter decks (perhaps have a deck marketplace where players can make decks, and other players can buy them!)

-You can have "tournament support kits" (preferable at a favorable price, maybe with limited availability "promos" which can become generally available after 6 months)

-You could offer different artwork for cards (how about a "promo" vampire that you upload a pic of yourself, that contests with other players'. Make it fun, and let players choose a 4 cap with three basic in-clan disciplines and have them all contest each other)

The possibilities are endless. Ok, there are limitations, but not for the imagination :)

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2012 04:55 #36763 by Oskar
Replied by Oskar on topic Re: The future of V:TES
I love playing drafts, so if nothing else I hope there will be random boosters printed for this purpose.

More
14 Sep 2012 12:17 #36800 by Soonerborn
Replied by Soonerborn on topic Re: The future of V:TES
I love to draft as well. But price point will be the make-or-break factor in any futrue limited play (for my group anyway). The key to drafting was everybody could chip in for an entire box of boosters for ~$65.

Where I'm from NOBODY drafted at retail costs, not unless there was HEAVY prize suppport (like the old pre-release events that involved a starter + boosters and an entire box of swag for prizes).

VTES was never a money game like Mt$.

As far as 'rarity'. Pfft. There's no system or tradition, it was just whatever would get people to buy cards and changed constantly. Cards that were rare in early sets became uncommon and common in later sets. The hotness rares from one set would end up in starters for the next set. Rares in micro sets versus re-print rares from base sets vs NEW rares from later base sets, etc. etc. etc.

At this point we should be saying 'scarcity' because it boils down to how many copies are in existence, not any given card's distribution within any given set(s).

Ashur Tablets is technically common. What's the 'rarity' of 10th anniversary cards like Carlton Van Wyk? Sensory Dep was technically uncommon. War Ghouls and Great Beasts used to sell for $50. And yet Govern the Unaligned is still probably the single strongest non-master card in the game... at this point who cares?

Other than people profiteering off the singles market...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimir

More
14 Sep 2012 12:34 #36802 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: The future of V:TES

I love to draft as well. But price point will be the make-or-break factor in any futrue limited play (for my group anyway). The key to drafting was everybody could chip in for an entire box of boosters for ~$65.

Where I'm from NOBODY drafted at retail costs, not unless there was HEAVY prize suppport (like the old pre-release events that involved a starter + boosters and an entire box of swag for prizes).

VTES was never a money game like Mt$.

As far as 'rarity'. Pfft. There's no system or tradition, it was just whatever would get people to buy cards and changed constantly. Cards that were rare in early sets became uncommon and common in later sets. The hotness rares from one set would end up in starters for the next set. Rares in micro sets versus re-print rares from base sets vs NEW rares from later base sets, etc. etc. etc.

At this point we should be saying 'scarcity' because it boils down to how many copies are in existence, not any given card's distribution within any given set(s).

Ashur Tablets is technically common. What's the 'rarity' of 10th anniversary cards like Carlton Van Wyk? Sensory Dep was technically uncommon. War Ghouls and Great Beasts used to sell for $50. And yet Govern the Unaligned is still probably the single strongest non-master card in the game... at this point who cares?

Other than people profiteering off the singles market...

One option would be selling only random boosters.

- it's easier to produce than on-demand sets of cards
- it allows drafting
- it maintains the exchange market

We could imagine a Sabbat-themed pack, a Camarilla-themed pack...

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
14 Sep 2012 12:38 #36803 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Also, before firing up the machine, making a price estimate and showing it may be useful. While I would go up to $100 for a booster box, it may not be everybody, and more importantly $100 may actually be a lot less than what would cost on-demand printing.

More
14 Sep 2012 12:59 #36805 by Soonerborn
Replied by Soonerborn on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Isn't the discussion specifically on-demand printing as a vehicle of providing printed cards (rather than PDF sets)?

I mean yeah firing up the old retail distribution model is an 'option' except we've been led to believe that it isn't due to a whole host of legal/trademark issues.

I'm just saying that random boosters produced through an 'on-demand' site (at a higher price point that the first time?) isn't going to revive my playgroup. If talking a new player into dropping a few hundred dollars on some starters and a booster box or two was a difficult sell, imaging trying to sell this to a new player.

What I really don't understand is why preserve the exchange market at all? How does that help the game? If cards become more readily available and less expensive to purchase after market doesn't that help the potential new player?

It's not like having a bunch of any given card in print will unbalance the game so who cares?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimir

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds