file Judges' Guide Revision: Volunteers wanted

27 Oct 2013 09:30 #55751 by acbishop
Fellow V:TES Players,

As Ginés Quiñonero told all of you yesterday we're going to review the Judges' Guide.

If you think you can help us please send me a personal message here with subject "Judges' Guide Revision" telling me in some words what you think it's a point to improve in the guide.

I will gather applications until November 16th 23h59 Paris time.

After that I'll select a team for working on that using a dedicated forum.

The game needs you!

:vtes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2013 18:10 #55878 by Squidalot
Antonio would you like to expand a bit more on the task for the viewers and why it is of interest

More
30 Oct 2013 18:23 #55978 by acbishop
The current Judge's Guide is from Jannuary 2004, a full revision and upgrading it's necessary.

Each time I read it I always have the feeling that it's a Guide for a duel game and not for a multiplayer game like VTES.

Also penalities described in the guide are more focus on a duel game (Game Loss for instance).

My intend is to have a teamwork to evaluate the Guide, and think about an upgrade of it thinking more specifically to adapt it to a multiplayer game.

One example: a judge give a Game Loss to a player, does it mean the player is ousted right now? or the player won't be able to play next round? in that case, for an 8 people tournament, if player will have a Game Loss for a round, other players want be able to play cause of the seating, ...

Lot of questions for some situations.

I don't know if the solution would be to change the possible penalties for adding penalties more easily handled during the tournament and with the Archon, VP/GW penalty?

There are lots of differents solutions for every case.

Maybe is not very clear what I want to explain :blush:

:vtes:

More
30 Oct 2013 19:52 - 30 Oct 2013 19:53 #55982 by jamesatzephyr

One example: a judge give a Game Loss to a player, does it mean the player is ousted right now? or the player won't be able to play next round?

That's explained in the existing Judges Guide.

in that case, for an 8 people tournament, if player will have a Game Loss for a round, other players want be able to play cause of the seating, ...

There are very few reasons that a player would need to be given a Game Loss penalty between rounds in an 8 player tournament. For example, it seems like it would probably be overkill to do full decklists and checks between rounds. In a Continental Championship, sure, knock yourself out. But why invite problems for yourself in an 8 player tournament? Additionally, the current rules - as they stand - do nothing to make a 3 player game illegal if a 4 player game has a player disappear very early in the game, so it's unlikely to be the end of the world.

However, if your Judges Guide revision is intended to prescribe a solution to every situation where players disappear for unexpected reasons, it's not really going to work. Judges have to be able to exercise discretion and fix things on the fly, and it's not a duel game where you can just say "Okay, you go through to the next round/score a win" to the other affected player.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 19:53 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds