check Work-In-Progress preview of the upcoming Anarch-themed set

19 Sep 2015 01:39 #73221 by TwoRazorReign

Memory rift's wording should definitely be changed to "More than one discipline can be used when playing this card," as Ben Peal suggested. It is so much clearer to all, especially newbies that don't know about keystone kine. Please listen to Ben. And give Danielle Diron a special ability and remove aus from her discipline spread. Thanks

Oh yeah, I'm not saying the new template is fundamentally wrong or anything. I just think that the less text on the card, the better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2015 08:02 #73223 by Pascal Bertrand

Regarding the semicolon, the current state of the game is unclear (no general rule, only case-by-case effects) on how they work. Here are two examples :

+2 bleed; +3 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador.

Put this card in play; it becomes a 1-capacity non-unique Laibon of the same clan and cannot act this turn.

In the first example, the semicolon should only be read "or". In the second example, it should only be read "and".
That's how we know the cards work. But it does mean that ";" is very ambiguous (try replacing the semicolon in Aire of Elation with "and" ...). So we're trying to circumvent the conundrum with other wordings.

Hmm. I think both examples are clear. The semicolon functions like a period.

"+2 bleed. +3 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador."

"Put this card in play. It [This card] becomes a 1-capacity non-unique Laibon of the same clan and cannot act this turn."

For me, I don't see ambiguity with the semicolon, except for changing "it" to "this card" in the second example. However, I think changing the semicolon to ", or" in the first example and "and" in the second example would work fine.

Then they are clearly not working the same way, which I consider wrong.

More
19 Sep 2015 09:57 - 19 Sep 2015 09:58 #73227 by Hakuron

This would not resemble the effect of "Aire of Elation" for me.
I would read it: "+2 bleed. If the acting vempire is a Toreador, the bleed is for an additional +3."

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 09:58 by Hakuron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
19 Sep 2015 11:53 - 20 Sep 2015 01:11 #73229 by TwoRazorReign

Regarding the semicolon, the current state of the game is unclear (no general rule, only case-by-case effects) on how they work. Here are two examples :

+2 bleed; +3 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador.

Put this card in play; it becomes a 1-capacity non-unique Laibon of the same clan and cannot act this turn.

In the first example, the semicolon should only be read "or". In the second example, it should only be read "and".
That's how we know the cards work. But it does mean that ";" is very ambiguous (try replacing the semicolon in Aire of Elation with "and" ...). So we're trying to circumvent the conundrum with other wordings.

"Put this card in play. It [This card] becomes a 1-capacity non-unique Laibon of the same clan and cannot act this turn."

For me, I don't see ambiguity with the semicolon, except for changing "it" to "this card" in the second example. However, I think changing the semicolon to ", or" in the first example and "and" in the second example would work fine.

Then they are clearly not working the same way, which I consider wrong.

Interesting point. Both include two clauses connected with semicolons. Changing both so they are connected by coordinating conjunctions instead may be clearer. I think that's the real issue.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2015 01:11 by TwoRazorReign.

More
19 Sep 2015 12:05 #73230 by TwoRazorReign

I would read it: "+2 bleed. If the acting vempire is a Toreador, the bleed is for an additional +3."

So, grammatically, changing the semicolons to the periods does not change the meaning because they function the same exact way when separating clauses. The card has not been reworded at all. How did changing the semicolon to a period make you interpret "additional +3 bleed" in the second clause?

More
20 Sep 2015 02:53 #73245 by Juggernaut1981

So, grammatically, changing the semicolons to the periods does not change the meaning because they function the same exact way when separating clauses. The card has not been reworded at all. How did changing the semicolon to a period make you interpret "additional +3 bleed" in the second clause?

Because in past rulings, separate effects occur in separate sentences (i.e. Rotschreck vs Psyche!).

So replacing the ";" with "." in Aire of Elation, I would rule it the same way as Hakuron. A Toreador playing Aire of Elation at
 would get +5 bleed not +3 bleed.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron, TwoRazorReign

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds