file Keywords?

14 Nov 2016 05:21 #78959 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Keywords?

I realized that I had seen the "Fae" keyword on a card on amaranth deckbuilder, and it is not on any of that actual cards. Actual cards have the cold iron wording.

Yes, Amaranth uses the latest revised card text which is available here:

www.vekn.net/card-lists (Revised Card List)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2016 07:41 #78960 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Keywords?

I realized that I had seen the "Fae" keyword on a card on amaranth deckbuilder, and it is not on any of that actual cards. Actual cards have the cold iron wording.

Yes, Amaranth uses the latest revised card text which is available here:

www.vekn.net/card-lists (Revised Card List)

What a horrifyingly unhelpful change, offering negative value to the game.

Sit down at a table as a new player and see a vampire with "Cold Iron Vulnerability" on them, and a weapon with "Cold Iron" on it. Hey, maybe there's some interaction between these two? Nope, doesn't work anymore.

If the aim is to save space on cards, then are clan and discipline symbols going to be removed from the body of card text? e.g. "Put this card on a Laibon or on a vampire with Protean [pro]. This vampire gets +1 level of Abombwe [abo] and +1 capacity. Cannot be put on a vampire with superior Abomwbe [ABO]." Something LSJ deliberately added, to reduce the problems for new players who could mostly just symbol match when faced with unfamiliar cards. Players don't - in general - have to remember what the default sect of every clan is because your Toreador Antitribu says Sabbat on it anyway.

So taking an already corner-case mechanic and making it that little bit less obvious and more obscure? Mind-numbingly awful.

More
14 Nov 2016 13:43 #78961 by xXLazarusXx
Replied by xXLazarusXx on topic Keywords?
Well, trying to stay positive and constructive, and working with what we have, I'd like to get my hands on an updated rulebook. I'm %90 sure, "Fae" is no where to be seen.

Those cards are a rules lawyers* nightmare now, as that new wording IS in effect and the cards NO LONGER SAY jack about cold iron without a rules reference.. ..
(*The "show me in the rules" kinda guy, yeah, you know the one....)

Prince of Lodi, Ca
Everyone must ride with Charon, by and by. We merely wish to know what to ask him before we step onto his boat.
:hosk:

More
14 Nov 2016 16:13 #78962 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Keywords?
There's a precedent of using terms and concepts crucial to understanding the game in rulings but leaving those terms out of the rulebook (see "environmental damage"). It would be one thing if the powers that be were simply following that asinine precedent. However, a new precedent is being set by replacing old terms on cards with completely new terms without any updates or explanation given in the rulebook. If the old precedent is asinine, this new precedent is completely short sighted.

I'm not seeing the benefit of officially changing card text without giving any thought of revising the rulebook. It is doing more harm than good.

-Your friendly neighborhood rules lawyer

More
14 Nov 2016 19:10 #78967 by ReverendRevolver
Replied by ReverendRevolver on topic Keywords?
So:
We use the slang term "rush" in place of "may enter combat with" for 22 years, and when we decide to keyword to turn 3ish words to one we picked...... Fae?

Am I reading the thread right?

More
14 Nov 2016 20:57 - 14 Nov 2016 20:57 #78970 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Keywords?
The Revised Card List is a work in progress. It is compatible with the current official cardtext and rulings, even though new keywords such as "Fae" are not currently described*.

Considering that
1/ there is 16 vampires (and probably more to come) that have "Cold iron vulnerability" and only 4 weapons that are cold iron,
2/ there is less space on crypt card than on library cards.

It is under consideration to move the rules about cold iron weapons dealing aggravated damage on cold iron vulnerable minions from the rulebook to the cold iron cards themselves.

Also, for those who summon the name of LSJ, he recommanded the use of "Fae".

I suppose that the useful move would be to get rid of those irrelevant (at least in 99.999% of the games) drawbacks to really simplify the game (other useless drawbacks concern True Brujah and their inability to play celerity cards).

This would require a reprint of course, as the current Ruling Team position is not to errata cards until they can be reprinted.

* For those who ask: Fae = Cold iron vulnerability.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 20:57 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xXLazarusXx

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds