exclamation-circle Anthology set previews: April 3

05 Apr 2017 08:31 #81349 by drnlmza

Yeah, the gender-fluid thing is unnecessarily political correct, and it sounds wierd. I had a quick look at Ambrosio Luis Moncada's text, replaced 'he' with 'they', and it's sounds silly. If we really need to address this, I'd much rather the gender text on the cards refer to crypt cards by the gender the characters themselves identify as. It's a much better common ground.

The preview says that it's only about replacing the "he or she" text found on cards like Ancient Influence or Anachronism, so why are you assuming that Ambrosio's text will change?

... am I the only one who's reading a more than I probably should into this part?:

"in order to revive the game on a sound basis, White Wolf had to..."

I mean, to me, this seems like the part we should be discussing, no? Why is it so important now to remove the WotC bits?

WotC have been a major stubmling block in getting VtES back into print - see for example the discussions about onebookshelf's attempt at www.vekn.net/forum/news-and-announcements/74017-the-current-state-of-v-tes-november-2015 . Simplifying things by removing them from the picture looks like a good move to me.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2017 09:02 - 05 Apr 2017 09:05 #81350 by Ankha

Yeah, the gender-fluid thing is unnecessarily political correct, and it sounds wierd.

Isn't it just the 'He or She' text that is being replaced with 'they'?

Correct. "He or she" is also politically correct, and was a real nuisance of some card texts.

Isn't it just the 'He or She' text that is being replaced with 'they'?

Here would be the updated text:

"Sabbat cardinal: Monçada cannot block. Other Methuselahs' actions targeting Monçada cost an additional pool. If Monçada is ready during your discard phase, they can untap another ready Lasombra."

You just replaced "he" by "they", not "he or she". Monçada is still a "he".

... am I the only one who's reading a more than I probably should into this part?:

I mean, to me, this seems like the part we should be discussing, no? Why is it so important now to remove the WotC bits?

WotC have been a major stubmling block in getting VtES back into print - see for example the discussions about onebookshelf's attempt at www.vekn.net/forum/news-and-announcements/74017-the-current-state-of-v-tes-november-2015 . Simplifying things by removing them from the picture looks like a good move to me.

Yes, White Wolf knows best how to protect their IP without infringing Wizards'.

The vampires will be a little more exciting next week, stay tuned.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 09:05 by Ankha.

More
05 Apr 2017 13:43 #81351 by Cat_in_Exile

Yeah, the gender-fluid thing is unnecessarily political correct, and it sounds wierd. I had a quick look at Ambrosio Luis Moncada's text, replaced 'he' with 'they', and it's sounds silly. If we really need to address this, I'd much rather the gender text on the cards refer to crypt cards by the gender the characters themselves identify as. It's a much better common ground.

The preview says that it's only about replacing the "he or she" text found on cards like Ancient Influence or Anachronism, so why are you assuming that Ambrosio's text will change?

Ahhh, I see. Nothing to see here at all, then. Thanks for clarifying, I get it now, thanks.

As for the second part, yeah, I know. It makes me think that a return to print in some form, beyond the Anthology set, is a real possibility now.

More
05 Apr 2017 16:51 #81352 by 2wayspeaker

* Throughout this rulebook, references to players (Methuselahs) will be feminine ("she" and "her"), while references to minions (characters represented in the game) will be masculine ("he" and "his"). These pronouns are not intended to identify gender; this is merely a useful method to avoid both cumbersome "he or she" constructions and ambiguity.

I still don't understand why every card text in the game wasnt based around this (almost very first) paragraph in the rulebook. All vamps male, all methuselahs female.
  • Card references to single methuselah => She her.
  • Card references to single vampire => he him.
  • Card references a single something else => it.
  • Card references a plural group => They them

More
05 Apr 2017 18:56 - 05 Apr 2017 18:56 #81355 by TwoRazorReign

* Throughout this rulebook, references to players (Methuselahs) will be feminine ("she" and "her"), while references to minions (characters represented in the game) will be masculine ("he" and "his"). These pronouns are not intended to identify gender; this is merely a useful method to avoid both cumbersome "he or she" constructions and ambiguity.

I still don't understand why every card text in the game wasnt based around this (almost very first) paragraph in the rulebook. All vamps male, all methuselahs female.
  • Card references to single methuselah => She her.
  • Card references to single vampire => he him.
  • Card references a single something else => it.
  • Card references a plural group => They them

Because that would cause a lot of confusion on crypt cards of female vampires. If a new player sees a female vampire being referred to as "he," while it may be right per the rulebook in your scenario, it would be extremely "wrong" in the new player's head due to their preconceived notion of how pronouns in English work. This is a situation that is very different than using the singular they to refer to male and female vampires, where this convention is so common in English nowadays that almost all dictionaries define "they" as referring to groups of individuals comprising both sexes. A new player will see singular they and not bat an eyelash.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 18:56 by TwoRazorReign.

More
05 Apr 2017 20:23 #81357 by Lönkka
God stuff; welcome changes.

Not really seeing what the usual whining is about.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds