file Vampire: Elder Kindred Network Newsletter November 2017

01 Dec 2017 19:12 #84433 by Kushiel

Rise of the Nephtali: With Anthelious banned it's kind of unplayable as is...

What?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2017 02:37 - 02 Dec 2017 03:06 #84434 by Boris The Blade

Also, your suggestion affects allies that a War Ghoul can burn or not, or a Cry Wolf that could be turned into an Abomination.

The War Ghoul can already burn allies played that turn, that is the reason why it burns itself if there is no other target.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 03:06 by Boris The Blade.

More
02 Dec 2017 09:46 - 02 Dec 2017 16:18 #84437 by Bloodartist

#2: Fine with the concept, but the execution looks a bit messy. Could anarchs be defined as a sub-sect of Independent so that we do not have to change all existing Independent cards?

EDIT: there is a grand total of 6 cards for independents, So I guess rewriting them would not be such a big effort. Besides, it opens some design space, as not all of those cards feel right for anarchs.

Banner of Neutrality: Independent only (and find a way to make it suck less.)
Community Justice: Independent only (see above.)
Exclusion Principle: Independent/Anarch.
Free States Rant: Anarch only (the only reason it is not is that it was printed before Anarchs were introduced.)
Reckless Agitation: Independent/Anarch.
Rise of the Nephtali: Independent only, because IIUC Nephtali is its own mini-sect.

Haqim's law: judgment requires independent assamite(s)

Reckless agitation seems like a major card for anarchs currently. Making it so that Anarchs couldn't call it would be a huge blow to anarch vote decks. Because the card is so strong, I'm tentatively ok with this. The change would be effectively nerfing Anarchs.

However, overall I am not a fan of this change, because there are so many cards that have 'independent anarch' in their card text. This change would confuse things once again.

Remembering that an ally can't act or putting it in the recruit region requires the same energy.
Either way, you have to track that state.

Not really, since some things are more intuitive than others. I'm pretty sure I've never, during the couple years that I've played VTES, put an ally to uncontrolled region. The current rule seems like unnecessary clutter to an already unnecessarily complex game.

You also have a delayed thing to remember (first putting ally to play to uncontrolled region, then moving it to controlled region). Instead of just putting it to play and considering whether it can or can't block when the situation arises. The latter allows shortcutting without endangering game state, the former requires you to do something largely superfluous EVERY TIME you play an ally. Adding obligatory things for player to do and remember that are largely irrelevant to how the game proceeds should be avoided.

The slight difference is that with your suggestion, the ally can block a minion controlled by another Methuselah acting the turn where the ally has been recruited (Enkil Cog, Madness Network). This is currently not the case.
But it's a suggestion worth considering.

This sounds like a corner case scenario. I would personally be fine in allowing allies to block in such a case. Its intuitive for allies to block since they are already in the game.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 16:18 by Bloodartist.

More
02 Dec 2017 15:57 - 02 Dec 2017 15:58 #84440 by elotar

Rise of the Nephtali: With Anthelious banned it's kind of unplayable as is...

What?

Only decks I've seen which played it was some MMA with Cybele. Without Anthelious it's better to remove Gehenna cards from them altogether.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 15:58 by elotar.

More
02 Dec 2017 16:21 - 02 Dec 2017 16:22 #84441 by Bloodartist

Only decks I've seen which played it was some MMA with Cybele. Without Anthelious it's better to remove Gehenna cards from them altogether.

I don't think this has anything to do with anthelios. Anthelios makes master card-intensive decks simply better. You can still play Rise of the nepthali without Anthelios if you want titles. There are other non-disruptive gehenna cards to play to satisfy Rise. Blood trade for example.(all boons are burned, woop woop!)

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 16:22 by Bloodartist.

More
02 Dec 2017 22:27 - 02 Dec 2017 22:36 #84443 by Ankha

Also, your suggestion affects allies that a War Ghoul can burn or not, or a Cry Wolf that could be turned into an Abomination.

The War Ghoul can already burn allies played that turn, that is the reason why it burns itself if there is no other target.

Indeed, Cry Wolf is the only good example here.

I do not like the rule change proposal #1.

With the rules as they are now, you need to carefully consider how to bloat with a deck that generates lots of counters in the uncontrolled region (Thing, Little Mountain Cemetery, Unwholesome Bond and the likes). If moving a vampire to the ready region ceases to be mandatory those decks simply do not have to be careful any more.

What do you do with these counters that you couldn't do before? You could already stack 8+ counters on a vampire big enough before, and it has never been a problem in terms of balance.
You will probably don't care as much as before in some very special cases (such as a double Govern down on a 5 cap vampire that for some reasons you don't want to bring out), but I don't see it as a noticeable change in the game. Unless you have some ideas about how to abuse it.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 22:36 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds