file First new products are available!

08 May 2018 16:25 #86629 by Bloodartist

The rarity system would need scrapped and reset to represent how many copies of a card are needed and how many decks need them.

Worth noting, that with fixed content packs rarity system is already sort of scrapped.

Rarity makes sense only with CCG booster packs with randomized contents.

The useful commons and uncommons from past need to be included in these releases sooner or later.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2018 18:25 #86636 by Tendoncutter
I'm inclined to agree with Elotar on this. There is simply something special about opening random boosters that set item decks does not possess.
I recently picked up both some booster packs from a local store(online) and won a number of auction on ebay, Awaiting both, and while I know i got the cards I'm looking for in the auctions, I'm hoenstly most exciting about opening the boosters, once they arrive.
While the discussion about how long it would take to get a certain amount of Nephandi og Freak Drives makes sense in a context where it is tier 1 or bust, it would be somewhat premature to assume that all new players(which is the currency we are really interested in, in terms of longevity) want to get and play the best cards right a way, or at all for that matter.

Some like things a bit more casual, and don't neccesarily yearn for competitive, tournament play. For instance, while I've enjoyed getting my ass kicked by new experienced players I've stumbled upon, the people I used to play with have more or less said that they didn't really enjoy that type of game and have dropped off. And it wasn't just caused by a difference in deck power levels, but also by how the approach to the game was, even in casual play.

I'm not sure POD-bundles in the end will revitalise this game. But reviving an old model, maybe updating it a bit, in a sea of LCGs might be worth considering.

More
08 May 2018 18:36 #86637 by Brum

Since Lords of the Night there has been much hype for the starters, so far that the spoiling of them was an event in of itself.
I remember the online topics and blog posts regarding them.
Fun days.

You are actually supporting my point - there was hype because the contents were unknown. With random distribution you got the same feeling with opening each one.

Hard to discuss it online, obviously, but you can make unboxing videos :P

No.Spoiling them increased hype.
Every time.

More
08 May 2018 18:38 #86638 by Lönkka
Elotar, do I remember correctly that some months ago you were the one VERY heavily advocating for the LCG format to be adopted to VTES?

If so, now that we have something very close to that format you pine for the boosters is actually funny in a sad way...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
08 May 2018 18:39 #86639 by Lönkka

It does bear repeating that we will likely be able to print and purchase single cards eventually.

Shhhh!
Don't spoil a perfectly good whine! ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
08 May 2018 18:42 #86640 by Kraus
Seriously, if you need your randomness kicks (which I, mind you, fully do understand; there really IS the thrill of opening random packs, a sentiment I share), PLEASE do cube drafts! It's a great, cost effective and safe way to achieve that high without imposing it to the retail formula.

Any customer will get the best value from a balanced LCG format, end of story. Randomness and rarities hurt games of this time and age. If, for PERSONAL PREFERNCE, you really enjoy ripping boosters (which, once again, I do as well), separate that urge from where people's money is going, and integrate it into your free time. Cube drafts really do help scratch this itch.

If, however, we ever get randomized draft packs for VtES, I'd be ALL for it! For Netrunner they failed because people never need more than 3 copies of a card. For VtES they would work excellently.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, Lenny

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds