file 2012 NAC Week of Nightmares

20 Jan 2012 11:56 #21271 by Loughman
I'm starting to put together the schedule of events for this year's WoN and wanted to solicit input from potential attendees. Last year, we held a Regional, 5 2-round qualifiers and a booster draft. Eric has put forward a possible list of events beginning with wednesday evening....I'm looking more at the sunday through wednesday afternoon block. Two-round grinders are always an option, but I have also stockpiled some cards for Drafts if folks are interested (Sabbatt + 3rd Ed, Ancient Hearts + Dark Sovereigns + Lords + Jyhad, or some other less expensive ones).

If you are planning on, or considering attending the WoN, please chime in with any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2012 15:14 #21285 by ReverendRevolver
I dug the last sabbat+3rd alot (did we do sabbat or SW that time?) and i think AH+DS+LotN could be interesting. you know i'm in for whatever, but all my ideas are pretty cooky as far as events are concerned. i think we're better off sticking to drafts like you suggested or basic 2R+final tourneys, or maybe a quick 2R grinder b4 draft one day with an early start.

More
20 Jan 2012 16:22 #21291 by echiang
For clarification, it's Hugh and I (working together) who are planning out some evening events (for Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat). A combination of some Limited booster draft events and/or some Storyline related events, at Origins.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
20 Jan 2012 20:29 #21308 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
Hi all.

Here's my take (tried to post this earlier, I guess it hit the dreaded VKEN timeout.

I'll be there the whole time again. Willing to help Mark and Co as needed.

I am willing to run a Succubus Club (see below) early in the week if there is interest. I'll donate a peice of art for the winner as incentive to make it happen :)

Overall, I'm more interested in causal constructed-deck pickups (e.g., the old Milwaukee model) - where you get ousted, grab another deck and are in a fun game in 3 mins. Nore decks, different people, no stress, ethanol involved. Great fun, very social. See old friends, make new ones, play wacky decks.

I know a lot of people don't favor that, if they travel, they want tournaments. That's fine too, if I were coming from Europe, I might feel that way too. Unfortunately, VEKN has failed at maintaining ratings and the only glory to be had is the TWDA. So be it.

If we do less pick-up gaming, I favor 2R+F tournaments over most other options. Draft and Storylines are fun maybe once each for the week. But personally, I largely favor constructed. If there's going to be a LOT of Draft/Storyline, I would prefer to see smaller constructed alongside (multijudge as needed, I volunteer as needed).

Darby

Quick rundown on Succubus Club. Everyone picks a constructed deck. They go into a common pool. Each player gets a deck NOT of their making for rounds 1 and 2. Ideally, you shouldn't see the deck you played in round 1 at your table in round 2. GW/VP awarded for players' performance AND their decks' performance. Top 5 go the finals, with their own decks. Winners gets original sketch or art.

More
22 Jan 2012 22:23 #21483 by Loughman
Here's the link to the discussion at CSP

www.comicshopplus.com/site/showthread.php?t=1513

More
23 Jan 2012 21:39 #21573 by Adonai
Finances being what they are, and that Monday being a major holiday with elevated hotel prices, I will be unlike to attend prior to Wednesday.

I like both of Darby's ideas (free play, then Succubus Club), but I don't expect that I would be able to participate in them.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds