compress Villains and Vigilantes Card Game

22 Oct 2011 16:56 #12617 by bswainbank
After VTES production stopped and my Storyline Coordinator duties ended I started up my own gaming company: Superhuman Games. We are focusing on a living-card-game style superhero game, the Villains and Vigilantes Card Game.

We are lining things up to start our first print run. But first we’re trying expand the circle of people playing the game and providing feedback. We’ve started up a V&V R&D product series where the decks are available from a print-on-demand service.

Currently, there are 3 sets available:

Crusher Crimewave: www.thegamecrafter.com/games/crusher-crimewave
Mind Over Matter: www.thegamecrafter.com/games/mind-over-matter
Day of Reckoning: www.thegamecrafter.com/games/day-of-reckoning

And more information about the game is available on our website: www.superhumangames.com.

The design for the V&V CG was heavily influenced by my long love affair with VTES. There is the concept of characters having powers, and the different cards in the game represent the way those powers can be used. The characters themselves are not intrinsically awesome. But they can play cards that let them do awesome things. There is also very rapid card flow that lends itself to building exciting chains of card plays. And I loved the narrative aspect of the VTES: the idea that an exciting story can be told through a strategy card game.

Beyond that the V&V CG is quits different from VTES. It is more narrative, less abstract, less complex, and more fluid. The action takes place on a grid of locations. The game doesn’t have tapping or all sorts of phases. If you want to move a hero you play a power card that lets the hero move. If you want to punch a villain you play the power card that does that. etc...

I know so well that VTES players are and intelligent and charming bunch. And you have such excellent taste in games. I wanted to let you know about the Villains and Vigilantes Card Game and hope you'll check it out. If you have any feedback I would love to hear it. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks.

-Ben Swainbank
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2011 12:46 #13000 by Lost_Heretic
Where's the Mr. Mime deck? (Or whatever that goofy villain was called)

Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast

More
28 Oct 2011 13:45 #13002 by bswainbank

Where's the Mr. Mime deck? (Or whatever that goofy villain was called)

That's Master Mime! (He didn't spend 7 years at evil mime school to be called Mister).

When I got the V&V license the game was mostly recast with actual heroes and villains from the RPG.

But I will be including a few sentimental favorites from the character I designed. Master Mime will return (along with Brain Child, Baron Von Mayhem, and a few others...).

More
28 Oct 2011 17:41 #13019 by direwolf
I have to say, I've got a couple of games I'm designing now, and thegamecrafter looks like a good place to prototype, or even sell games (since I have no capital)

I would like to try your game at some point, but for now: thanks for pointing me to thegamecrafter.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
28 Oct 2011 18:37 #13023 by bswainbank

I have to say, I've got a couple of games I'm designing now, and thegamecrafter looks like a good place to prototype

Yeah, Game Crafter is a great resource for prototyping. Their print quality is also quite good.

I recommend it. If you decide to put something up there, or you have questions about it, let me know.

More
09 Nov 2013 15:26 #56442 by bswainbank
Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know that this game has found a publication partner and is now on Kickstarter!

Check it out at:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/villains-and-vigilantes-card-game

VTES players will see some VTES influence in the game design, like the way powers are handled and the importance of card-flow.

I hope you'll support the project and help us spread the word!

-Ben

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds