file CCP Games Halts Development of World of Darkness MMO

14 Apr 2014 13:30 - 14 Apr 2014 13:34 #60973 by Damnans
PRESS
CCP Games Halts Development of World of Darkness MMO
2014.04.14 15:12:26

www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/77171/ccp-games-halts-development-of-world-of-darkness-mmo/

CCP Games today announced that they have cancelled the World of Darkness massively multiplayer online (MMO) game project in development in their Atlanta, GA studio.

As a result of the change, 56 employees of the Atlanta studio have lost their jobs. Some team members have been offered roles on other projects inside the company, and CCP has provided severance packages and job placement assistance for those affected.

The remaining team in Atlanta will focus on games in the EVE Universe, which will mark the first time since 2006 that the entirety of CCP will be working on a single universe.

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson:

The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest I’ve ever had to make. I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years I’ve watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.

I would like to give special thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the World of Darkness MMO a reality, especially the team members affected by this decision. Their considerable contribution to CCP will not be forgotten, and we wish them well.

To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make. We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you.

Although this was a tough decision that affects our friends and family, uniting the company behind the EVE Universe will put us in a stronger position moving forward, and we are more committed than ever to solidify EVE as the biggest gaming universe in the world.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 14 Apr 2014 13:34 by Damnans.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2014 15:12 #60976 by Zoroh

More
14 Apr 2014 16:39 #60978 by Migalart
very sad :(

VEKN Marketing CoDirector

More
14 Apr 2014 16:46 #60980 by Damnans
More information about this issue can be found here:

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/final-death-world-of-darkness-mmo-cancelled/

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
14 Apr 2014 18:20 #60983 by The Flayed Man
:angry:

This sucks, I've been holding off on a new PC so I would buy one in 2015 just to have the best system available to play this game. Guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for Warhammer 40k.

More
14 Apr 2014 18:22 #60984 by ReverendRevolver
Cool. Now that THAT money is lost and never coming back, as a company, sell WoD rights to Steve Weick to recoup some. Then we are a step closer to seeing the light of day again.

Ccp killed off a bunch of lines, the (depreasinlgy) most porfitable being this card game in a gambit to dump resources to the mmo project/cut lose employees.

Some risks dont pay off, and i hope they are regretful enough to try to make good to all the WOD fans and give the only company making books of it rights to all of it (including vtes) to try amd see if the origional owner can salvagethe whole thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Molloy, TorranceCircle

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds