file Is "Necro-ing" a forum topic a bad thing here?

19 Jun 2014 14:10 - 19 Jun 2014 14:10 #63230 by rezwits
My VTES playing days, are scattered here and there.

If I finally get into a deck that was played 5 years ago or even 10 years ago, if I have a question about a combo or comment about a ruling, are people going to get bent out of shape for necro-ing a forum post?

I mean all you ever hear on forums is if you have a question google the question first and see if it's been discussed.

Then when you find the old thread circa. 2005 and post to it, all you hear is why are you necro-ing an old post, blah blah.

WTF?! Can people just post here or what? This is the only thing I hate about forums and idiotic rules about posting.

I need a place where I can just post and get discussions. These cards aren't changing but new things come up that are related to the old...

Let me know!

Geezus
Last edit: 19 Jun 2014 14:10 by rezwits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2014 14:36 #63232 by jamesatzephyr

I mean all you ever hear on forums is if you have a question google the question first and see if it's been discussed.

Then when you find the old thread circa. 2005 and post to it, all you hear is why are you necro-ing an old post, blah blah.

It's sometimes more problematic on forums for fast-ish moving games (like e.g. various MMORPGs), because the discussion in the thread will very often not be relevant. A complaint 2 years ago about hobbit gunslingers having low DPS and poor utility is often nothing like the present day, because many patches have occurred and everyone's shuffled around a lot. At which point, there's probably no point necro-ing that thread.

With V:TES, it's often not too bad. So posting in a 12 month old rules thread to ask "Oh, does that mean...?" is probably fine. Posting in a two-year old deck construction thread saying "I came back to this deck last night and tried it out..." is probably going to be fine.

Necro-ing a thread that's only tangentially relevant is probably unhelpful e.g. posting a totally unrelated question about a card, just because a thread happens to be about a completely different aspect of the card. Similarly, if something has radically changed, making the previous thread totally irrelevant, although if it's not clear to you, it might be worth asking "Is this still right, after RTR 2015-09-09 errataed...?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: D-dennis, self biased, rezwits

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds