file Fantasy Flight Games announces set rotation policy

02 Dec 2014 09:45 #67846 by elotar
Just one point - rotation in vtes may not work as present in "modern" CCG "old sets are banned forever and maybe several cards from them will be reprinted later", but in successively banning and returning to play of large chunks of cards.

So we will have fluid meta as well as "forever playable" cards.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2014 10:17 #67848 by BenPeal
Another thing to keep in mind about rotation policies is something FFG mentioned in their press release:

Players aren’t the only people who are impacted by large card pools, and as retailers need to carry more and more products in order to support a game, it becomes harder for them to do so.

So, the reasons behind rotation policices aren't just about competitive balance, keeping the metagame fresh, and accessibility - they're also about business concerns. Retailers can get frustrated with having to stock and restock a lot of product in order to support a game. While FFG didn't say so, this is also a problem for the manufacturers. They have to print and reprint products, as well as keep those products in their warehouse, in order to meet the needs of distributors and retailers who are supporting the game.

This is part of why I really, really, really hope V:TES can come back in a Print On Demand manner, as POD would eliminate that supply and logistics challenge. The tricky part would be doing that while still offering products for brick and mortar retailers to sell. Cards exclusive to brick and mortar retail products might be one way to resolve this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, self biased

More
02 Dec 2014 19:14 #67863 by self biased
I've mentioned before that extending the grouping rule to library cards would be a great way to introduce a cycling element to deck design. If such a thing were to be implemented, I would advocate for crypt and library groupings be independent of each other.

In General, I would also advocate pretty strongly against promo-only cards.

More
03 Dec 2014 08:30 #67873 by Lönkka

In General, I would also advocate pretty strongly against promo-only cards.[/i]

Indeed so.
Especially if they are über powerful.

Then again, n the past VTES promos haven't been problematic since they've been widely available and easily attainable.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds