file Book Review "The Lesser Dead" by Christopher Buehlman

17 May 2015 20:15 - 17 May 2015 20:16 #71146 by direwolf
The second book review in a week? What's going on? Normally I read science fiction, but I've read enough of my library's sci-fi ebooks that the pickings are slim. So I changed gears and got some horror.

First of all, this is a vampire book in the style of the World of Darkness.

The narrator is a vampire turned at the age of 14. Old enough to pass as an adult and young enough to pass as a child when using his "charm" (that is what he calls the supernatural abilities which encompass the disciplines of dominate, presence and obfuscate)

The story slowly builds up as the narrator describes himself, his neighbors, his life before turning, his sire and what he does night to night in 1970s New York City.

A deeper plot slowly emerges when a group of children vampires are discovered (we ALL know this is a huge no-no!), and the narrator and his group of underground dwelling vampires investigate a problem that could bring the authorities down on all of them.

It is well written and engaging. Anyone familiar with World of Darkness will not be disappointed. It's dark and gritty, unlike a lot of the pop-vampire fiction that has popped up since [sensored], sorry I can't even bring myself to mention it, but you know what I'm talking about.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
Last edit: 17 May 2015 20:16 by direwolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elotar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds