file Abby Wambach is my idol

02 Aug 2011 09:12 #7219 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Abby Wambach is my idol

Although its used in the U.S. , I think this term, "soccer", originated in England.

No way. AFAIK it was and is since the beginning football. Hugh, could you enlighten us please?

Baron of Frankfurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2011 09:30 #7221 by Pascal Bertrand
Try watching the Turkey vs South Corea ceremony, World Cup 2002 (match for bronze medal).

More
02 Aug 2011 10:11 #7222 by jhattara

Although its used in the U.S. , I think this term, "soccer", originated in England.

No way. AFAIK it was and is since the beginning football. Hugh, could you enlighten us please?

www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcripts/worldcup2006a.html
"Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football."

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
03 Aug 2011 07:11 #7274 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Abby Wambach is my idol
I stand corrected. That's very interesting indeed. Kudos to TorranceCircle and jhattara. (Good job they didn't call it asser).

Baron of Frankfurt

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds