file wow just tried to teach 3 people to play vtes and need help

18 Jul 2012 00:55 #33349 by gymim
So me and 3 others stopped our game of vtes ( little after the 2 hour mark so 1 of them could eat) and WOW! We ran through the 3rd edition players kit walk through and it felt so overwhelming to explain everything to them. It was hours of me reading and walking.them through all the sub phases and in the end, I'm wondering if they want to play again because there is sooooo much. How do you all get new people to play.without overwhelming.them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2012 01:03 #33351 by Adonai
Demoing is a skill that takes a good bit of work to develop.

Here's a collection of ways that have worked for players in the past:

www.thelasombra.com/demoing.htm

I'd be likely to recommend Damnans method, if the number of Spanish players is any reflection of the result of his methods.

www.thelasombra.com/demoing-Damnans.htm

More
18 Jul 2012 02:42 #33359 by Juggernaut1981
Start them with SIMPLE decks and if you can, pair them up with experienced players who can explain what they are doing.

I recommend, if you are going to be doing a lot of this, you keep at least 2 easy to play decks (Malk S&B and Ventrue Dom-Bleed with Fortitude are my preferred ones with a backup of a Toreador Push-Vote). Start them with the simplest deck and then progress through using decks that have more reactions and combat cards (if there are people with other CCG experience, then you can accelerate them a little through the decks).

Then its a matter of letting them observe other people's decks and then allow them to borrow more complex decks before encouraging them to get onto eBay and buy the bulk-commons lots that often appear on eBay.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
18 Jul 2012 03:14 #33371 by TorranceCircle
The quick reference playmat may help as well.

www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/vtesplaymat.pdf

You can find this also on the left side of the page under RESOURCES click Downloads then click Quick reference playmat.

(If you haven't already done this :whistle: )

More
18 Jul 2012 15:37 #33420 by AaronC
The old Jyhad rulebook had a simplified game that ignored stealth and intercept. D actions could always be blocked, and undirected actions could never be blocked.

Back when I made a push to teach people in my board game group how to play VTES, I found that stealth and intercept were the hardest concepts for people to get. Combat was not hard, and it was the funnest part of the game for the newbies. This is the opposite of what everyone always says, but that was my experience.

For a teaching game for newbies, I would suggest creating bruise and bleed decks and removing stealth, intercept, and political actions to start. Actions with inherent stealth are unblockable (and no directed actions made at stealth). It becomes a lot more like MtG for those players, and most people who play wargames, RPGs, and MtG don't have a lot of problems learning combat. Action, block, fight. Easy and fun.

More
18 Jul 2012 17:06 #33425 by gymim
Thank you, that helps a TON!

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds