file Finals are boring. Pt. 3: Rules for the finals

31 Oct 2012 07:54 #40091 by Decebalus

2) If at end of time, all players are tied at 0.5 VPs, the winner is the player whose prey has the least amount of pool (not the first seeded player). This means that the only advantage enjoyed by the top seed is seating. Each player is then racing against all others, not just against the top seed.

Nice idea. I like it.

It doesnt gives more Kingmaking than now. It only allows faster self oust.

Having more pool is not so interesting. You need your prey to have the fewest pool. And that means you have to play agressive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 08:35 #40095 by jtroyve

2) If at end of time, all players are tied at 0.5 VPs, the winner is the player whose prey has the least amount of pool (not the first seeded player). This means that the only advantage enjoyed by the top seed is seating. Each player is then racing against all others, not just against the top seed.

Nice idea. I like it.

It doesnt gives more Kingmaking than now. It only allows faster self oust.

Having more pool is not so interesting. You need your prey to have the fewest pool. And that means you have to play agressive.

i forget why we went to 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd in the finals, but, if we're using pool for win order, then can we use VPs -> Pool Count -> Seating Order as criteria for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.

More
31 Oct 2012 14:09 #40124 by ReverendRevolver
Most issues come from ranking when you sit down at a final nattering so much. if it only determined seating and the final was treated as isolated from other rounds, winner take all, aggression would matter more.

More
31 Oct 2012 15:54 - 31 Oct 2012 15:54 #40133 by johannes

i forget why we went to 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd in the finals, but, if we're using pool for win order, then can we use VPs -> Pool Count -> Seating Order as criteria for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.

Because people in hopeless positions would sell their asses and ruin the game for the winning player to gain 1VP and be 2nd instead of 5th.

But you are right. It was leading to less timeouts, because you could gain something, even if you weren´t winning.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 15:54 by johannes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
31 Oct 2012 16:19 #40138 by extrala

Because people in hopeless positions would sell their asses and ruin the game for the winning player to gain 1VP and be 2nd instead of 5th.

I really, really would hate that type of final round rules/ranking coming back. That king making was much more awful than any timed-out finals may be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
31 Oct 2012 16:21 - 31 Oct 2012 16:22 #40140 by Wedge
I am curious. Who came up with the tournament rules? Was it Garfield, LSJ, White Wolf, VEKN or someone else? They have been in play since before I started and aside from the change LSJ made in 08(?) remain unchanged. While I understand the need for a winner after six to eight hours of playing, I am not convinced the current rules best suet the nature of the game.

Personally(redundant), resting the laurels leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I understand that the T rules have been around a long time, thus should not be changed.

Matt
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 16:22 by Wedge.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds