question-circle New Rules for Final ?

08 Nov 2012 07:53 #40585 by Amenophobis
Having witnessed lots and lots of timeouts at the EC this year (and also increasingly in casual play), I'm of the opinion that something has to change.

Several ideas are floating around, the idea with the swiss-type final round for all tournament attendees seems at the very least interesting.
As all tables are playing simultanously, it would be impossible for players to know if there is already a GW, so they would in theory try hard to get a GW if possible, just in case the other table(s) time out with no GW.

Actually, this should be tested if it's feasible. B-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2012 07:57 #40587 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?

How do you determine someone is playing normally (but slowly) or stalling ?
Because you can't always pressure a player...

That's for the judge to decide. But as for the rule enabling the extension of time limit in case of slow play I think the rule 141 in the Judges' Guide is used too little.

141. Slow Play - Playing Slowly

Definition:
Players who take longer than is reasonably required to complete game actions are engaged in slow play. If a judge believes that a player is intentionally playing slowly to take advantage of a time limit, that player is guilty of Stalling (section 162).
Example:
(A) A player is unsure of with which minion to block, and spends five minutes trying to decide.
Philosophy:
Slow Play penalties do not require a judge to determine whether a player is intentionally stalling. All players have the responsibility to play quickly enough so their opponent is not at a significant disadvantage because of the time limit. A judge should take into consideration the tournament scores when deciding if this should be upgraded to a Stalling penalty.
Penalty:
Caution. In addition to the penalty, the judge may assign extra time to the game if he or she feels it is appropriate. The option to add extra time should be used sparingly in order to avoid tournament delays.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinM

More
08 Nov 2012 08:07 #40589 by Boris The Blade

It would be nice if the players wouldn't know the ranking before the finals (other that they're being finalists). Random seating implied of course. So their would be less incentive to stall for the top seed.

It would probably be easier to do the opposite: keep the seating rules as they are but determine the winner randomly in case of timeout.

More
08 Nov 2012 08:34 - 08 Nov 2012 08:38 #40595 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?

Having witnessed lots and lots of timeouts at the EC this year (and also increasingly in casual play), I'm of the opinion that something has to change.

Several ideas are floating around, the idea with the swiss-type final round for all tournament attendees seems at the very least interesting.
As all tables are playing simultanously, it would be impossible for players to know if there is already a GW, so they would in theory try hard to get a GW if possible, just in case the other table(s) time out with no GW.

Actually, this should be tested if it's feasible. B-)

It was tested during non sanctioned events... Like the Jyhad Marathon, or other tournaments in Northern France... such as the Vintage Draft (play it like in '94, with Jyhad and VtES card text, and only the NRA rule...)

And the first test if I recall correctly, during the first Jyhad Marathon, was even a Final for the first 5 and the other one for the last 5...

Everybody was pleased to be playing and placing themselves as in the "real" Final...
And at that time I put a little something for every table winner, as there was no ranking involved...

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 08:38 by Vlad.

More
08 Nov 2012 10:11 - 08 Nov 2012 10:12 #40613 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?

I think the current rules are fine. Judges should add time for slow play more easily.

Haven't ever seen that done.

Sure sometimes you get some additional minutes when answering/researching a question took a while, but never for slow play.

I'm rather a slow player but as a judge I have stong dialike for stalling. Yet I've so far never added time for slow play. It is a fine line you have to walk with...

Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 10:12 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
08 Nov 2012 11:35 #40623 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?

I think the current rules are fine. Judges should add time for slow play more easily.

Haven't ever seen that done.

Sure sometimes you get some additional minutes when answering/researching a question took a while, but never for slow play.

I'm rather a slow player but as a judge I have stong dialike for stalling. Yet I've so far never added time for slow play. It is a fine line you have to walk with...

My point exactly. I can't remember seeing anyone add time or even caution players for slow play, although the option exists.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds