question-circle Formats: "Pauper" Constructed / Jyhad & Loose-Card Draft

26 Dec 2012 15:51 #43297 by chrisinpm
Basically what the subject line says.

Q1: I once tried something called a "Pauoer" constructed format in Magic. The idea was that you could use any card from any set, provided that all your cards were Common rarity. I thought this was a great way of allowing constructed deck competition without the artifical bar of card rarity. I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this with VTES. (As I recall, all crypt cards are rarity Uncommon by default so they would be the exception.) Has anyone tried this? Does anyone see any possible problems with the format if applied to VTES?

Q2: I would like to try a draft-style format using the sea of unused Jyhad cards I own (loose cards, not sealed packs). Does anyone have any suggestions how this could be done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2012 16:01 - 26 Dec 2012 16:01 #43298 by Adonai
[Q1] What happens to the common cards from Bloodlines that were later printed as Rares in Legacies of Blood? What happens to the vampires printed in the Rare slots in Final Nights and Bloodlines? What about cards that were 'fixed' rarity, appearing only in starters?

[Q2]
Sam Marsh proposed Cube Drafts.
anarchfreepress.myzen.co.uk/vtesuk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=842
Last edit: 26 Dec 2012 16:01 by Adonai.

More
26 Dec 2012 16:05 #43299 by Ohlmann

Q1: I once tried something called a "Pauoer" constructed format in Magic. The idea was that you could use any card from any set, provided that all your cards were Common rarity. I thought this was a great way of allowing constructed deck competition without the artifical bar of card rarity. I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this with VTES. (As I recall, all crypt cards are rarity Uncommon by default so they would be the exception.) Has anyone tried this? Does anyone see any possible problems with the format if applied to VTES?

How do you intent to treat card that changed rarity, like Immortal Grapple ? And starter-only card, i.e. fixed rarity ? Also, some commons are a lot harder to find than some rare (villein or ashur tablet vs ivory bow for actual and powerful examples)

I am not sure this is interesting in that rarity is extremely loosely linked to power in VtES. Sure, Summon History is powerful, but the "classic" power card, I.E. govern, deflection, conditionning (notice a pattern ?), carrion crow, deep song and a lot of other, very powerful card are already common.

I am not sure that this would authorize new decks to be created ; I fear that, more than anything else, it tend to neuter strategies. But you can test that idea and find out by yourself.

If it's the "peasan" flavor that please you, you may make a format where only vampire cap < 6 are authorized and uncontrolled region start at 2 or 3 cards (to avoid making weenie too nasty).

Q2: I would like to try a draft-style format using the sea of unused Jyhad cards I own (loose cards, not sealed packs). Does anyone have any suggestions how this could be done?

I don't know, but since they are people that create drafting set, I suppose people can help you.

More
26 Dec 2012 16:16 #43300 by ICL
Magic has had cards change rarity. Magic has had cards printed in precons. If rarity was indicated on V:TES cards, it wouldn't be such a struggle to track rarity and a database query can tell you which cards have changed rarity.

Anyway, I don't see much point in Pauper V:TES since so many of the staple cards are common. However, this has given me an idea for a blog post. I think I'll look at my TWDs and see what the rarity breakdown is like.

Danke.

More
26 Dec 2012 18:27 - 26 Dec 2012 18:36 #43305 by Izaak
FWIW, in Magic, a card qualifies for the Pauper format if it was ever printed as a common.

Also note that in Magic, the top competitive Pauper decks, can still cost well over $60,-. Yes, that's less than standard constructed (which starts at ~$90-ish for RDW and goes all the way to $300 for U/W Flash at the moment), but it's far from a cheap format.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2012 18:36 by Izaak.

More
27 Dec 2012 13:46 #43323 by chrisinpm
Thanks for the input. I understand that there's a much less dramatic correlation between power and rarity in VTES (which I believe is a good thing).

My situation in that I've moved to a location that doesn't seem to have a VTES presence that I can see - I checked the event calendar and it doesn't look like anything's run here that's listed there - and I'm trying to brainstorm ideas to get people interested in the game without creating undue expense. This problem is compounded by the game no longer being in print.

As i typed this I just realized I should probably not be a nitwit and see if there's a Prince for this area (Philadelphia PA, USA). Duh.

The stuff about cube draft is interesting. I think with using just Jyhad it would be easier to do since the universe of cards is smaller (seven clans + caitiff, with the corresponding disciplines from that set), so a cube format is probably easier to accomplish. I'd need to try and weed out cards that were heavily errata'ed and/or banned, to try and keep it simple.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Thanks.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds