file Tournament Scoring

02 Feb 2013 09:06 #44741 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Tournament Scoring
About timeouts: from my experience, most timeouts happens when there are still 5 players on the table, usually because some players do too much table control, noone dies, and nothing happens.
A less frequently case is when people starts to play slow, not to keep their GW but to stay in the game and score 0.5 VP (or because the situation is quite complicated and the slightest mistake can be deadly.)
The rarest case is when people stall to keep their GW. I haven't seen that very often.

Being incentive to score the more VP won't resolve case #1.
But if you still want to be incentive, why not double VPs if you have the GW?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2013 09:08 #44742 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Tournament Scoring

I am of two minds on this: yes, it is unsportsman-like to throw a game. But if the game is part of a larger tournament, then the goal is to win the tournament.

...in a sportsmanlike manner. That is clearly, obviously known to be true.

If you can lose the game and still win the tournament, then that is a problem with the organization of the tournament.

No, because at all times, if one acts unsportsmanlike, one deserves the appropriate punishment, and it does not indicate anything wrong with the tournament in any way.

Having said that, I do tend to agree that the current GW/VP/TP-structure is not completely satisfactory, and I've been advocating the complete abolishment of the 'Withdraw' rule for years as anti-PTW.Kuta often comes up with wacky, untenable rules changes, but they most often lead to interesting discussions, so I am all for hearing what he has to say and even trying some of his ideas out from time to time.
:)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
02 Feb 2013 11:38 #44745 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Tournament Scoring

V.P.s and T.P.s are only awarded to the game winner.

Scoring will be pretty monotonous and in BIG tournaments checking out the qualified players will be difficult as you'll need to draw lots to see who will be the lower quarter of the qualified players from all the people who have 0 points...

Not good.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
02 Feb 2013 16:03 #44752 by Wedge
Replied by Wedge on topic Re: Tournament Scoring
Kevin, I don't think you meant casual games, rather any tournament may see increased aggression. Any change in meta would be from player perception, not a shift in the rules, we are still required to play to win now.

Lonkka, That is one of the reasons I included the other option. To be honest, I don't see the deals Reyda and Souli where talking about anymore. It could be because, no deal is binding, and my play group feels it is bad form to take a death before dishonor attitude when playing "Vampires". Or those of us who are skilled at deal making don't it is worth the trouble. Or the % of players who aren't aware of game state is low or high, whatever. All deals should be short term ones, anything else you should not accept.

More
02 Feb 2013 23:59 #44781 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Tournament Scoring

Kevin, I don't think you meant casual games, rather any tournament may see increased aggression. Any change in meta would be from player perception, not a shift in the rules, we are still required to play to win now.

No, I meant casual games. There is a difference between the rules saying that one is forced to Play To Win and the rules saying that if you do not win you get a big fat goose egg. That zero, in and of itself, especially for players who aren't that good, is going to make the meta shift towards high(er)-risk high(er)-reward decks simply because players won't wish to obtain goose egg after goose egg after goose egg. Even during a non-tournament session, that's pretty brutal.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
03 Feb 2013 20:38 #44801 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Tournament Scoring

Having said that, I do tend to agree that the current GW/VP/TP-structure is not completely satisfactory, and I've been advocating the complete abolishment of the 'Withdraw' rule for years as anti-PTW.

What Withdrawing were forbidden in the heads-up game but still possible if there were 3 or more Methuselahs playing? That could go a long way toward eliminating table splitting deals, while still allowing people who can "legitimately" withdraw to do so.

Kuta often comes up with wacky, untenable rules changes, but they most often lead to interesting discussions, so I am all for hearing what he has to say and even trying some of his ideas out from time to time.
:)

Unusual and untried does not necessarily equal wacky and untenable. And it is the nature of progress that the new becomes the old and the old fades to history.

But if you still want to be incentive, why not double VPs if you have the GW?

Sure, this could also be a possibility. It certainly encourages the winning Methuselah to be as ruthless as possible in the end game, or at the very least they have to think very carefully about making deals and keeping them.

The trick of course is getting a sufficient experimental sample size to try out these different ideas before officially requiring any changes. I'd like to see an official set of tournament rules for all events, with an "optional" set of scoring rules for smaller (perhaps < 40 players) non-Continental championships. If the organizer wants to try 'em out, then go for it and see how things change. If not, then that's fine too.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds