file Reward system discussion

02 Nov 2013 10:29 #56122 by Damnans
The goal of this to-be-determined reward system is not only to encourage participation in V:EKN sanctioned tournaments but to increase the rate of archon and tournament winning deck submissions as well.

So here are some ideas about possible rewards based on different factors:

Continental Championship automatic qualification
The top X% players (rounded up) in each national ranking get automatic qualification for any Continental Championship (only for Day 1, if any).

A player's portrait on a VTES card
This prize is meant for players who have accomplished special feats, such as winning a Continental Championship.

Alternative Halls of Fame hosted on vekn.net
In addition to hosting Jeff Thompson's Hall of Fame on vekn.net, I suggest the creation of other kind of Halls of Fame for other extraordinary feats such as:
- Winning the most tournaments with a given clan: e.g., Clan Loyalty Hall of Fame
- Winning tournaments with the most different clans: Diversity Hall of Fame
- Winning a tournament with a given difficult-to-win-with clan: Strangers Among Us Hall of Fame
- Winning a tournament with an extremely difficult-to-win-with deck (e.g. Samedi vote deck): Blessing of Chaos Hall of Fame
- Winning the most tournaments with rush decks: Monsters Hall of Fame
- Winning the most tournaments with wall decks: Wall of Fame
- Winning the most tournaments with vote decks: Masters of Politics Hall of Fame
- Winning the most tournaments with bleed decks: Masters of Bleed Hall of Fame
- The player with the most VPs in a tournament (in the last 18 months): Capitalist Hall of Fame
- The player with the most GWs in a tournament (in the last 18 months): Play-to-Win Hall of Fame
- Etc...

Any comments, improvements, suggestions?

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2013 13:35 #56129 by johannes
Hall of Fame of any sort sounds great.

Card art portrait is a very good option but should be used scarcely, for really big feats (i.e being most weeks number #1 in the ranking of a year).

extrala used to have a "deck of the month" on his blog which I found cool. Maybe we can recruit a TWDA maintainer who will also chose a "deck of the month".

More
02 Nov 2013 15:11 #56134 by Lönkka
I'd be more inclined to give card portraits to the winner of EC instead. Then again, we certainly could do both...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
02 Nov 2013 15:38 - 02 Nov 2013 15:39 #56135 by ICL
Replied by ICL on topic Re: Reward system discussion
The alternate Hall of Fames sound really bad. Small sample size, dilution of what it means to be a HoFer, increased arbitrariness are some problems I see.

Keep in mind that the TWDA criteria for what constitutes a deck of a particular clan are already easily "abused". Five copies of one vampire is not a deck of a clan. 5/5/x/y or 6/6 is not a clan deck. My "Toreador" deck with 7 of 21 being Toreador is not a clan deck. But, they all qualify because determining what it means to really be of a clan is subjective.

People already get credit for winning with unusual stuff. What the TWDA and HoF do is stay relatively objective, leaving the playerbase to recognize or not "secret achievements". And, while the difficulty of either winning tournaments or making it into the HoF changes over time independent of the requirements, the difficulty of what constitutes "hard to win with" and the like varies far more. Gangrel used to have tons of wins, not so much the case anymore. Kiasyd had a surprisingly low number of wins for the longest time given that Dominate + stealth works every once in a while. See Guruhi before Nana and after Nana.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2013 15:39 by ICL.

More
02 Nov 2013 16:50 #56139 by ReverendRevolver
Brad Cashdollar has often claimed position in the "Hall of Shame" for winning with decks that shouldnt win.

Such a thing could be amusing. He, for example, claims membership with typhonic beast snake punch deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans

More
02 Nov 2013 19:49 #56141 by Damnans

The alternate Hall of Fames sound really bad. Small sample size, dilution of what it means to be a HoFer, increased arbitrariness are some problems I see.

We could use a different name instead of Hall of Fame.

Keep in mind that the TWDA criteria for what constitutes a deck of a particular clan are already easily "abused". Five copies of one vampire is not a deck of a clan. 5/5/x/y or 6/6 is not a clan deck. My "Toreador" deck with 7 of 21 being Toreador is not a clan deck. But, they all qualify because determining what it means to really be of a clan is subjective.

If deemed necessary, those criteria could be changed as well.

People already get credit for winning with unusual stuff. What the TWDA and HoF do is stay relatively objective, leaving the playerbase to recognize or not "secret achievements". And, while the difficulty of either winning tournaments or making it into the HoF changes over time independent of the requirements, the difficulty of what constitutes "hard to win with" and the like varies far more. Gangrel used to have tons of wins, not so much the case anymore. Kiasyd had a surprisingly low number of wins for the longest time given that Dominate + stealth works every once in a while. See Guruhi before Nana and after Nana.

Agreed. The special rewards should be awarded according to objective criteria (or, at least, according to criteria which are as objective as possible).

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds