file Talking before finals?

21 Sep 2014 18:57 #65635 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Talking before finals?

Of course people will talk to one another so I think it would be quite silly to forbid them.

If the tournament is very small (so you know or can make a good guess who are in the finsls) and you've finished the last turn but there is still a table or two going on.

During this time you already might be able to talk with the needed persons placing the possible finalists who, say, timeout less options.

Yes, this is hard to forbid, unless you can judge it as collusion.

But what I mean is mainly what can or cannot be said when the players gather to seat, the actual "seating dance".

I personaly am not really sure what to think. It is a very delicate, critical moment, when experienced players can manipulate newbies into bad decisions. Maybe it´s best to keep it quiet.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2014 19:19 #65636 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Talking before finals?
No way!
If one or two tries to manipulate, then there are also one or two who will call their BS (assuming that there is just one newbie).

Deciding seating for finals is still part of the game.
People still try to manipulate everyone during the games too...

Also, for example Swedish information network is quite effective in gathering info on who plays what during EC's tournaments. Not everyone else can be as efficient. Not talking during the seating would leave those who are unable to tap into this network at disadvantage -now they can at least try to get other finalists to talk about the decks in finals before making their decision.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
22 Sep 2014 05:13 #65644 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Talking before finals?
And how long in your opinion this "manipulation and information gathering phase" should take? IMHO to gather information right at the seating in a tournament actually makes you a victim of manipulation and misinformation, as everybody tries to influence you to make decisions in their favour.

In addition do you really like to open that game phase to deal discussions, such as "let us focus on the heavy bleeder with our two combat decks as predator and prey, take care of the rest of the table and fight it out then" or the like? If talking is allowed in the seating nothing would forbid this kind of table talk. I think this would be annoying.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
22 Sep 2014 06:32 #65645 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Talking before finals?
There are no time limits in the tournament rules for organizing seating for finals.

There is, however, play to win clause for the finals and all non-winners tie for 2nd place (4.8. Play to Win: During the finals, playing to win means playing to finish as tournament winner (as defined in 3.7.5).) which might cause problems for players who act in the way Joscha just decribed.

My point was, some people might have access to some solid information on who are going to be in the finals before the seating for the finals is being decided. Thsu they will have a chance to talk about the seating beforehand which mean that it'll be absolutely impossible to oversee that no such discussions are taking place (compare it to herding cats...).

Hence, if talking will be prohibited during the seating, then some people will probably be at disadvantage.

Disadvantage + impossibility of overseeing any prior discussions means that why implement such a rule?

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nightbringer

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
22 Sep 2014 07:23 #65649 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Talking before finals?

Disadvantage + impossibility of overseeing any prior discussions means that why implement such a rule?

Well, like I said, I´m ambivalent to this. The language barrier is always oppressive in this game, and these few minutes it gets especially critical. Isn´t it enough too have discussions during the actual games?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
22 Sep 2014 09:23 #65655 by Pascal Bertrand

I'd like to second that and would favour an addition to the tournament rules.

The only reasonable way to do this is to force players to sit at their table until round3 (or whichever is the last round) is over.

I highly doubt anyone could force this. Plus it sounds silly.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds