file Archon reacting to players dropping out

09 Oct 2016 08:35 - 09 Oct 2016 08:45 #78620 by Ashur
I have another question about Archon (I use version 1.5e in Excel on Win 10, language Swedish).

How is the Archon reacting to playes withdrawing from the tournament? Yesterday we hade 31 players, but 2 dropped out after round 2 (before round 3, in a 3 round+final tournament). Isn´t the Archon supposed to recalculate the seating for round 3 then? Resulting in five 5-player tables and one 4-player table? Well, it didn´t for us, so I simply removed the dropouts from their 5-player tables, making them 4-player tables. Then I just notes this in the Override-tab, so we could have a final standing after round 3.

Of course playing as many 5-player tables as possible is ideal, but if the Archon can´t recalculate the seating I didn´t dare trying to move around players manually.

Help?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
Last edit: 09 Oct 2016 08:45 by Ashur.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2016 08:46 - 09 Oct 2016 08:48 #78621 by Ankha

I have another question about Archon (I use version 1.5e in Excel on Win 10, language Swedish).

How is the Archon reacting to playes withdrawing from the tournament. Yesterday we hade 31 players, but 2 dropped out after round 2 (before round 3, in a 3 round+final tournament). Isn´t the Archon supposed to recalculate the seating for round 3 then?

No, since the Archon doesn't know at which round the players dropped. It's ok if the players drop before the final, otherwise you have to handle the remaining rounds manually.

Resulting in five 5-player tables and one 4-player table? Well, it didn´t for us, so I simply removed the dropouts from their 5-player tables, making them 4-player tables. Then I just notes this in the Override-tab, so we could have a final standing after round 3.

That is a way to do.

Of course playing as many 5-player tables as possible is ideal, but if the Archon can´t recalculate the seating I didn´t dare trying to move around players manually.

The Archon can't calculate anything, there's a list of optimal seatings recorded in the archon. There's no real-time calculation because calculating the optimal seating for more than 14 players take hours (or days) to compute. It may even be impossible mathematically to get an optimal seating with the given 2 previous rounds and a third round with less players.

The difficulty is that there's a risk that you violate some seatings rules (no repetition in prey-predator relationships etc.) when moving players to recreate 5-players.
Still, you can try and ask players to signal any weird situation (including a player that would start first for the third time).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Oct 2016 08:48 by Ankha.

More
09 Oct 2016 11:14 #78626 by Lönkka

Yesterday we hade 31 players

Utmärkt!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
09 Oct 2016 17:47 #78631 by Ashur

That is a way to do.

The Archon can't calculate anything, there's a list of optimal seatings recorded in the archon. There's no real-time calculation because calculating the optimal seating for more than 14 players take hours (or days) to compute. It may even be impossible mathematically to get an optimal seating with the given 2 previous rounds and a third round with less players.

The difficulty is that there's a risk that you violate some seatings rules (no repetition in prey-predator relationships etc.) when moving players to recreate 5-players.
Still, you can try and ask players to signal any weird situation (including a player that would start first for the third time).

Aha. Thanks for the answer, now I know this for next time. I had no idea it was that difficult to compute - I think too highly of computers these days! :) It might be a good idea to add this to some kind of organizers FAQ (ie, "What do I do if a player leaves?" and also "What if a player turns up late and whats to play round 2 and 3?")

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
11 Oct 2016 17:00 #78652 by Ashur
... and now I found this excellent post: How to use the Archon correctly

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds