file Dumping Archon, creating a new tournament guiding app?

23 May 2018 20:21 - 23 May 2018 20:25 #87398 by Malachy
How about hiring someone instead of waiting for favours? ;) Paying with actual money do get a job done? That is what I am adressing with this topic, the fact, that we have a company running VtES again I really hope they shall have the financial stability to be able to come up with an app like Archon.

And about using Archon... I had my time with it, I can use it without problem, but not all organizers can (and sadly i can't be present at every tournament in hungary). And it still has issues (which I'm more then willing to learn to rectify).

Last time, I was organising an event of 38 players. At the third round, 3 of them left. We couldn't manage Archon to deal with this problem, without stirring up even bigger poopstorm, so we created another file with 35 peeps, to be able to conduct a 3rd round. Late arrivals also a problem. And I'm sure, there is more...

Oh sorry guys, I hadn't spotted any other posts after Ankha's when i posted this, I'm glad things could set in motion :)

NC of Hungary

///
Last edit: 23 May 2018 20:25 by Malachy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2018 21:31 #87400 by Sambomb
I was thinking in something like that to send the info about the tournament, a XML file with all info required about the event, each round, each table...
This would enable easier transactions between 3rds party apps and vekn database.
Early drop or Late arrivals would be calculated in a easier way since they dont need to follow a strict rule, each round dont have direct interaction with the previous rounds.
Once all rounds are finished, the points are calculated, the finalists would be defined by points and randomized when draw to avoid coin toss.
The final seating is then manually added to the app with each VP to send direct to National Cordinator approval and VEKN database.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy

More
24 May 2018 05:20 #87415 by PetriWessman
I like the idea of standardizing the tournament report format (XML / JSON / whatever). That way we could build various tools to produce that, and then upload the result file to VEKN.

More
24 May 2018 06:55 #87416 by Ankha

Last time, I was organising an event of 38 players. At the third round, 3 of them left. We couldn't manage Archon to deal with this problem, without stirring up even bigger poopstorm

Yet, it's very simple to handle in the Archon. You just have to delete the numbers of the players who are leaving, and move the players who were sharing their table to make proper 5 or 4 players tables.
I think that a tutorial would be quicker and more useful than recreating the archon in that case.

Early drop or Late arrivals would be calculated in a easier way since they dont need to follow a strict rule, each round dont have direct interaction with the previous rounds.

This is plainly wrong, each round has a direct interaction with the other rounds, in order to follow the seating rules (found in the archon, on the Optimal Seating page):

1. No pair of players repeat their predator-prey relationship. This is mandatory, by the VEKN rules.
2. No pair of players share a table through all two rounds, when possible. (N/A in some 2R event.)
3. Available VPs are equitably distributed.
4. No pair of players share a table more often than necessary.
5. A player doesn't sit in the fifth seat more than once.
6. No pair of players repeat the same relative position[*], when possible.
7. A player doesn't play in the same seat position, if possible.
8. Starting transfers are equitably distributed. [NOAL]
9. No pair of players repeat the same relative position group[^], when possible.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy

More
24 May 2018 14:25 - 24 May 2018 14:31 #87439 by Sambomb
Im not talking about dumping the seating rules.

Im talking about remove linearity. The archon.XLS always calculate a player in each round even if he dindt arrived at that time or already left.

In a new app we can evaluate each round when the round start, following as many seating rules as possible.

We just need to define the priority of each rule and try to enforce it in the order.

Example:
Round 1 = 15 players
3 tables with 5 players each
Round 2 = + 2 Late arrivals
1 table with 5 players, 3 with 4 players
Round 3 = -2 Early departures
3 tables with 5 players each

Note that with 17 players we should have 4 tables and we cant drop 2 players because only one table has 5 people, to calc it properly we must drop an entire table and this is hard to track with archon to keep following the seating rules.

Each round should calc standings following each seating rules when possible based on the actual number of players and previous rounds info.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
Last edit: 24 May 2018 14:31 by Sambomb. Reason: Better example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScoundrelAtHeart

More
24 May 2018 14:44 #87440 by Ankha

In a new app we can evaluate each round when the round start, following as many seating rules as possible.

The computing power for calculating the seatings exceeds any server's capabilities when you have more than 20 players (see www.vekn.net/forum/generic-v-tes-discussion/69811-optimal-seatings-changes-3r-f?limitstart=0)

The best you can do is to take the optimal seating, remove the dropping players, then try adding/permutating players so that the rule 1 and 2 are at least enforced.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds