file POLL: Do "weak" clans need help? Should they be as strong as "good" clans?

Poll: Do "weak" clans need help? How much help should they get? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
22 Dec 2011 18:03 #19077 by Jeff Kuta
Self-explanatory, I hope.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2011 22:39 #19098 by Juggernaut1981
In my own mind "Strong" should be viewed as "Can oust people without neccessarily resorting to the same tactics".

e.g. Assamites, as assassins, should actually get some kind of other ways to oust instead of just Loss and Assamite-Death-Star.

City Gangrels should have ways to avoid being found/bled/harmed and also in their ability to ambush others in cities.

So it's not "everyone is the same and can bleed for 6" but "everyone should be able to sit down at their box of cards and choose any clan to make a winning deck from".

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
23 Dec 2011 20:43 - 23 Dec 2011 20:44 #19185 by echiang
"Strong" and "weak" are relative. Unless everyone's actually completely equal, there's always going to be someone who is the "worst" or at the bottom. If everyone is Tier 1, then that term is kind of meaningless. So the fact that there are weaker clans (or weaker disciplines) is not inherently a problem.

Acknowledging that some degree of stratification is inevitable, the question then is how big of a gap should there be? You see this issue come up a lot in socioeconomics and politics. There are fewer people who would turn a blind-eye to those in absolute poverty (though there still are some who would) but when it comes to the *degree* of "helping" through social welfare systems or wealth transfer, there's A LOT of heated discussion on what is not enough or too much.

When it comes to VTES, I think every clan should have interesting things to do and interesting decks to play with. I *don't* think that necessarily translates into every clan being able to make a competitive Tier 1 deck.

Generally, I don't think the Bloodlines clans should be as "strong" as the main clans. It's fine if some of the Bloodlines can make really strong decks (which might be better than some of the decks of the main clans). But the Bloodlines were originally intended to be less prevalent (seen most clearly with their crypt limitations), so expecting the Harbingers to be on par with the Ventrue, isn't really realistic. Same with the Pander/Caitiff. which generally don't get treated as full-fledged clans.

I think it's okay if some clans are mainly for "fun decks" or to provide a challenge for veteran players or to support other clans. I don't think the lack of a Tier 1 Abomination deck is a problem, and the Abomination clan really shouldn't be equal to any major clan (or possibly Bloodline). But I do think there should be more of a reason for players to bother with Abominations in the first place, and the Abominations could use a little help to make them more interesting and distinctive.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
Last edit: 23 Dec 2011 20:44 by echiang.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds