file Direct Intervention poll and discussion

Poll: Would VTES be helped or worsened by a banning of Direct Intervention? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
06 Jan 2012 09:26 #20081 by Ohlmann

Rather than have one card that cancels any minion card, there should be cards that cancel different types of minion cards because DI is too generally useful.

I tend to agree, generic counterspell card are not too welcome in my book, where specific solution would be more in line of other cards.

It's also one of the numerous card that don't promote going forward.

On the other hand, I can't say that DI is too much of a problem, except maybe with Anthelios, but I don't believe that DI is the problematic one, more the versatility of solution that Anthelios can give you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2012 14:26 #20116 by Izaak
Nah it's DI alone that slows down games a *lot*.

Right now, what you cannot do is try to do a very well calculated and planned lunge, because someone crosstable might (and usually will) DI your ousting Conditioning or ELder Impersonation.

What you do instead is grind down pool totals slowly, which leaves ample opportunity for people to recover lost pool with Villeins and whatnot. This true whether or not Anthelios is on the table.

That said, I did play a fair few high-profile tournaments last year and haven't seen anyone recycle DI's with Anthelios. What people recycle is Ashurs, Jakes and the occasional Sudden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
06 Jan 2012 14:44 - 06 Jan 2012 14:45 #20124 by Xaddam

Right now, what you cannot do is try to do a very well calculated and planned lunge, because someone crosstable might (and usually will) DI your ousting Conditioning or ELder Impersonation.

Using precious card slots, pool and MPAs, for what? Causing time-outs and denying themselves the GW? If people want to time out the table, everyone has that option no matter what card we ban. Banning a card because some players choose to play strategically moronic shouldn't be something the VEKN does.

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro
Last edit: 06 Jan 2012 14:45 by Xaddam.

More
06 Jan 2012 17:29 #20154 by Izaak

Using precious card slots, pool and MPAs, for what? Causing time-outs and denying themselves the GW? If people want to time out the table, everyone has that option no matter what card we ban.

I'm pretty sure that at least 3 people at the table don't want you to get a VP.

a) Your prey doesn't want to die
b) Your predator doesn't want you to gain 6 pool and a VP
c) Your grandprey is likely to prefer his current, almost ousted predator over a new one that just gained 6 pool

Banning a card because some players choose to play strategically moronic shouldn't be something the VEKN does.

No, but if the existance of a single card disallows extremely clever or strategic play just because the key component to your big-play-combo can be (and usually gets) DI'd there is a problem.

More
06 Jan 2012 17:42 #20158 by dude_PL
while I'm all for changing or even banning Pentex (discussed in another thread), I'm not so anxious about DI. TBH, since the introduction of DI2 the game has changed. Simply put, if I'm playing a deck that "has a plan", meaning - it relies on a combo to be pulled off (like ensuring that nobody DI's your 5th spell of life, for example), DI2 solves my problem nicely. I happened to play DI2 on some random crap a few times just to put the card in play and ensure that my combo can be pulled off. it also makes regular DI's useless instantly. I simply love that card :)

there are some decks where I'd use DI, but their number has gone down since DI2 was implemented. I'd pack it in any No Secrets deck, obviously (since block denial kills you), it also comes in handy with weenie / ally decks, but in overall it's not as big as it used to be back in the days.

but I do agree that seeing someone playind DI crosstable "for the lulz" is quite retarded. then again - you can't change cards because some people use them in a stupid way.

More
06 Jan 2012 18:17 #20161 by Xaddam

Using precious card slots, pool and MPAs, for what? Causing time-outs and denying themselves the GW? If people want to time out the table, everyone has that option no matter what card we ban.

I'm pretty sure that at least 3 people at the table don't want you to get a VP.

a) Your prey doesn't want to die
b) Your predator doesn't want you to gain 6 pool and a VP
c) Your grandprey is likely to prefer his current, almost ousted predator over a new one that just gained 6 pool

That your prey or predator would try to hinder you can hardly be considered a problem. If your grandprey uses resources to hinder you he/she is either playing poorly or he/she is already winning anyway. Unless of course, your prey is already basically ousted, in which case it can hardly be considered 'cross-table'.

Banning a card because some players choose to play strategically moronic shouldn't be something the VEKN does.

No, but if the existance of a single card disallows extremely clever or strategic play just because the key component to your big-play-combo can be (and usually gets) DI'd there is a problem.

Being clever is considering DI and playing accordingly and not being hurt by it. A "big-play-combo" being stopped is hardly a bad thing. They're boring, unstrategic, unimaginative, one-shot tactics. Relying on combos is the same as avoiding strategy.

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds