file Remove vampire contesting

31 Jul 2012 10:41 #34000 by Lemminkäinen
I find it supremely annoying when a game is randomly decided one way or another through having two decks with a superstar randomly contesting said vampire. I mean, it's fun to see two Anson decks cross-table from one another but when it's two Hazimels the whole game leaves a sour taste (even if I'm not the one playing a Hazimel).

From a fluff perspective it of course makes perfect sense, but other than that I can't really see a justification for the mechanic.

Anyone think differently?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 11:02 #34004 by Pendargon
No. Contesting is important and vital part of the game. It stops people playing Ansons all the time

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:
The following user(s) said Thank You: extrala

More
31 Jul 2012 11:20 #34005 by Pascal Bertrand

I find it supremely annoying when a game is randomly decided one way or another through having two decks with a superstar randomly contesting said vampire. I mean, it's fun to see two Anson decks cross-table from one another but when it's two Hazimels the whole game leaves a sour taste (even if I'm not the one playing a Hazimel).

From a fluff perspective it of course makes perfect sense, but other than that I can't really see a justification for the mechanic.

Anyone think differently?

I think the contesting part is what saves us from having 5 Una players at each table, with the 1st one to play being the winner (and THAT is randomness).

More
31 Jul 2012 11:21 #34006 by Lemminkäinen

No. Contesting is important and vital part of the game. It stops people playing Ansons all the time

Does it? Does someone really decide not to use an Anson deck because they are afraid of him getting contested?

Also note that having a balancing mechanic that works over multiple games by making some of them extremely difficult as opposed to making all the games balanced is kinda dubious, IMO.

More
31 Jul 2012 11:35 #34011 by Ohlmann

Does it? Does someone really decide not to use an Anson deck because they are afraid of him getting contested?

In my experience, yes, and it work for other vampires too. I don't see compelling reason to remove contesting, which is a really cool way to incite diverse decks and create very special situation. Yes, you Anson deck will once in a while have to rely on the rest of the crypt. It's good, expected, and part of the game.

Also, it nerf superstar deck. It's the logical extension of the outcry against Pentex Subversion to try to remove contesting. I understand why people want that, but they should find other responses to this problem instead of making superstar even more attracting.

More
31 Jul 2012 12:17 #34013 by Surreal
I agree that contesting vampires between players doesn't make much sense. For me it is hard to take Vtes tournament and meta seriously because the game could be decided just because somebody is playing same vampires as you do.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds