file Remove vampire contesting

31 Jul 2012 12:59 #34016 by Ohlmann

because the game could be decided just because somebody is playing same vampires as you do.

Which is very different from being decided by which one start, as would be with turbo deck :)

More seriously, there is more than enough vampire to actually avoid the most played one if you believe it will be too risky for that. And in a lot of deck, one vampire contesting is a random disavantadge but not the end of the world. Like is bad seating for your archetype, drawing villein + giant blood, etc etc ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 13:02 #34017 by Pascal Bertrand

For me it is hard to take Vtes tournament and meta seriously because the game could be decided just because somebody is playing same vampires as you do.

?

The meta is precisely what other people play. If you don't take it into account, you might end up involuntarily contesting vampires.
If you take it into account, you might en up voluntarily contesting vampires - I remember Kamel Senni had a copy of Beast in his Palla Grande, some time ago, in an EC. At that moment, Beast was popular.

More
31 Jul 2012 13:04 #34018 by Joscha

Does it? Does someone really decide not to use an Anson deck because they are afraid of him getting contested?

No. But I don't play Nana because of the danger of contestment.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
31 Jul 2012 13:16 #34019 by KevinM
"Superstar" decks are fairly strong. Well-built Superstar decks are typically stronger than a non-Superstar deck.

Given that belief, I wouldn't want to remove one of the very mild defenses against those decks when it by definition affects non-Superstar decks very little.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
31 Jul 2012 13:21 #34020 by Surreal

For me it is hard to take Vtes tournament and meta seriously because the game could be decided just because somebody is playing same vampires as you do.

?

The meta is precisely what other people play. If you don't take it into account, you might end up involuntarily contesting vampires.
If you take it into account, you might en up voluntarily contesting vampires - I remember Kamel Senni had a copy of Beast in his Palla Grande, some time ago, in an EC. At that moment, Beast was popular.

For me contesting is way too rare to plan your crypt on (like putting 1x Beast in the crypt, players don't really do this at all). I can't see contesting a method of strategy or something which helps metagame planning. I see it only a disadvantage which sometimes randomly ruins some tables. Contesting is too rare to really plan/meta your deck but way too big thing when it sometimes happens. I just can't see the benefit.

More
31 Jul 2012 15:20 #34026 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Re: Remove vampire contesting

No. Contesting is important and vital part of the game. It stops people playing Ansons all the time

Does it? Does someone really decide not to use an Anson deck because they are afraid of him getting contested?

Also note that having a balancing mechanic that works over multiple games by making some of them extremely difficult as opposed to making all the games balanced is kinda dubious, IMO.

Oh yeah. I'd never come to any tournament with Anson or Cybele, just 'cause there's a high chance I'll contest. I know that a friend of mine plays G2 Kiasyd in tournaments mainly because Arcadian gets contested that much.

Contesting is a vital, important and highly interesting part of the game, and it's unique and promotes variety. I'd never remove it.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds