file Storyline Central Deck

Poll: Central Decks (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
15 Dec 2012 03:37 #42913 by Juggernaut1981
Do you rate the "Central Deck" as a good idea in VTES Storylines?
What are your thoughts on the past "central deck" concepts??

Other ideas for Storyline events are usually:

BYO Minion
BYO Vamp
Special Cards (i.e. cards that are playable by anyone but only in the storyline)
"Stealable Cards" (i.e. players can 'steal' them but they are in play to start with)
Motivation Cards (i.e. factions, alternative win conditions, team bonus/penalty cards)

Others??

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2012 07:56 #42916 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Re: Storyline Central Deck
Central deck is very good idea in vtes storyline, if done right.

Execution so far wasn't very good, but wasn't bad either.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
15 Dec 2012 12:40 #42923 by brandonsantacruz
I thought imperator was fun, a good opportunity for the deck maker to make an interesting deck. Never played nergel.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
15 Dec 2012 17:06 #42931 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Storyline Central Deck
Worked well in the past.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
15 Dec 2012 18:47 #42935 by ICL
Replied by ICL on topic Re: Storyline Central Deck
The positive of the decks is that they truly changed the environment. The negative is that they did so in a way that wasn't fun.

The Nergal player, which only existed for finalists, already making for a bad storyline format, had the "feature" that the correct thing to do was wipe Nergal off the table and go back to playing a normal game. I tried playing Nergal low key and all it did was mean I gave more time for everyone else to beat me down.

The Cultist deck was atrociously overpowered, which wasn't at all clear until you played with it. Speed became hugely important with it around - whoever got a quick start likely controlled Reverand Adams and abused all of the toys of the deck.

For Imperator, I built decks for the event with numerous cards I never see played, like the Holds. Nobody played the Holds or most of the other cards, Lextalionis being an exception I can recall off the top of my head. Much of the metagame was trying to minimize the effectiveness of using the central deck.

Getting off the topic:

In terms of play, The Eye of Hazimel may have been the best - I don't recall anything else being better. The infernal/not infernal thing was a metagame mess where people didn't know how to bid and Anarch Revolt decks were popular. The LB/G&M event was awesome in some ways - all bloodlines, no grouping, no scarce - and terrible in that LB made the format insipid. Motivated by Knowledge was awful, making games a battle of blood versus lack of blood to determine whether someone could draw a threat or answer ... constantly - essentially, someone only died with no blood on any vampires, even then, some other player might draw into a "do not oust" card by blowing off a bunch of blood to find a crosstable answer, like DI.

Anarchs and Alastors worked well in the one time I recall playing it as we had Dark Sovereigns in the draft mix - never realized how interesting DS is for draft. But, it lacked the clan identity that is the main draw of storyline play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
15 Dec 2012 20:48 - 15 Dec 2012 20:52 #42941 by brandonsantacruz
The holds didn't seem helpful at the time, I remember. Too much text, I hadn't seen them before and didn't feel like bothering. Now Channeling the Beast, that was a hotly contested card, as was Clan Loyalty.

Edit: Cards that have really basic effects or that are weak but situationally useful are good candidates, IMO. Ex: Victim of Habit, Esteem. Cards that will almost never find a slot in your deck.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
Last edit: 15 Dec 2012 20:52 by brandonsantacruz.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds