file Fix the Malkavian Dominate Error?

Poll: Fix Malkavian Dominate Error? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
26 May 2014 22:14 #62789 by rezwits
Way back in the early start of the century, 2003-2005, I always wanted to check what would happen to the discipline spread if you made one correction to VTES, DS, and AH Malkavians, by changing their Dominate to Dementation. Finally got around to starting this petition or poll for now.

Basically this is the outcome:

The only vampires who would have identical disciplines as any other vampire would be:

(6) Ozmo <-> (5) General Perfidio Dios
Note: Group 1 Group 3 (anti) btw totally different cap and abilities
separate groups perfectly, so no problem there

(4) Roland Bishop <-> (4) Claven <-> (4) Adelaide Davis <-> (4) Beauregard Krueller
Note: Group1 Group 2 (anti) Group 3 Group 4
separate groups perfectly, so no problem there

(2) Ohanna <-> (2) Boy Toy <-> (2) Cassandra Langely, The Waif
Note Group 2 Group 2 (anti) Group 4
separate groups also, so no problem there

Let’s fix the Malkavian Dominate Error :(

Basically,

Any VTES (set 1), Dark Sovereigns or Ancient Hearts, Malkavian with Dominate,
changes it to Dementation.

And that’s all completely fixed the clan :)

True all of the fun old things you could do with mainly the Group 1 Malks can’t be done anymore, but it’s really not that big of a deal, and then you get new ideas and some of those old decks you may have wanted to put together but didn't because of that stupid discipline problem.

I have heard stories of how, it was made this way for a reason, and that they didn't want to add the additional discipline in the beginning, but who cares really. This has just always bugged the hell out of me, because every other clan is perfectly laid out spread wise, and they have so many other errata I don't what the big problem would be at this point.

I know this is crazy…

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 04:59 #62790 by Ankha
I have no problem whatsoever with the DOM discipline in gr1 Malkavian. Changing it to DEM would not make them more interesting, but on the contrary would remove a good alternative to DEM Malkavians.
If you have a "discipline problem", just play another group. As you said, there are many comparable vampires in the other groups where DOM have been changed for DEM.

There's nothing to fix. You seem more to have a philosophical issue than a real game problem.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: rezwits

More
27 May 2014 05:01 #62791 by jamesatzephyr

I have heard stories of how, it was made this way for a reason,

The reason was that Auspex, Dominate, Obfuscate were the clan disciplines for the Camarilla Malkavians, when V:TES was created in 1994. In Second Edition Vampire: The Masquerade (published 1992), that's what the disciplines were. Later on, things changed, and the Dominate/Dementation split between the Malkavians and the Malkavian antitribu was 'resolved' with the Great Prank.

See also: group one and two Gangrel are Camarilla, but later Gangrel are mostly Independent, reflecting a WoD change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rezwits

More
27 May 2014 05:15 - 27 May 2014 06:28 #62792 by rezwits

There's nothing to fix. You seem more to have a philosophical issue than a real game problem.

So yeah somewhat 95% the case, almost strictly purity ...

But I have had designs where I wanted to put Group 2's with Group 3's and I had to have my library fitted with DOM cards for half the vampires and DEM cards for the other half, which in all honesty was lame and just felt pathetic and weak, and never played the combined groups in any decks...
Last edit: 27 May 2014 06:28 by rezwits. Reason: groups

More
27 May 2014 05:47 #62793 by Timo

So yeah somewhat 95% the case, almost strictly purity ...

But I have had designs where I wanted to put Group 2's with Group 1's and I had to have my library fitted with DOM cards for half the vampires and DEM cards for the other half, which in all honesty was lame and just felt pathetic and weak, and never played the combined groups in any decks...

I guess you mean group 2 and 3 (which is where the difference is made beetwen DOM and DEM malk.

But I would say : what the problem ?

Nohing say you HAVE to play vampires which don't go well together just because they are of the same clan.

A DEM/DOM deck is a bad idea so chose your crypt accordingly with DEM or DOM.

And as it have been said, DOM malk represent "old" malkavian...

More
27 May 2014 06:05 #62794 by alek
100% agreed with Ankha

More
27 May 2014 06:42 #62796 by rezwits
Yeah it's almost just for the purity aspect, but in addition I find I want to create malk decks where I can freely rotate vampires as I see fit, say if I choose to play "the same deck" with Group 1 and 2 the dom cards are in there. If I just want to freely play group 2 and 3 or even 4 and 5, I have to swap out some dom cards and put in the dem cards, bummer for me I guess. It's just flexibility.

Example, You can have a brujah deck, and then as you see fit you can pick any brujah from some groups and play the deck. If you want to go further down the groups line you can grab those vampires and play them using the "same deck" cause they have what is called "Clan Disciplines"

So, in essence most clans have this beauty of having a "Clan Deck" based on their Clan disciplines, and you can pick any vampires (as long as they are in consecutive groups) and just play the deck.

Do you kinda see what I am saying here? With malkavians you have the Group 1 Malk decks that can't be played with further down the line groups. i.e. the group 1 malk decks are only used by those first gen vamps. Unless you want to rotate cards out etc etc blah blah,

Lame for Malkavians. I just think things would be pleasant if you could have a Malkavian Clan Deck (themed perhaps) and freely pick whatever groups you want to play with BUT YOU CAN'T without having to have 2 decks built or swap cards in and out, no other clan has this problem!

Lame

More
27 May 2014 07:25 #62797 by Ankha

Yeah it's almost just for the purity aspect, but in addition I find I want to create malk decks where I can freely rotate vampires as I see fit, say if I choose to play "the same deck" with Group 1 and 2 the dom cards are in there. If I just want to freely play group 2 and 3 or even 4 and 5, I have to swap out some dom cards and put in the dem cards, bummer for me I guess. It's just flexibility.

This is nonsense. You have to adapt to the game, not the reverse.
You can't just swap crypts and keep the same deck, otherwise V:TES would be a very poor game, and grouping would be nonsensical too.
Plus what you say is wrong for many clans: EuroBrujah don't have presence, gr. 4-5 Ventrue have more Auspex than their gr2-3 counterpart, gr 3+ gangrel can't play Camarilla cards, gr1-4 Baali don't have titles (except Maureen)...

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz, Pendargon

More
27 May 2014 07:27 #62798 by Timo
I srongly disagree on your assumption that you can swap crypt between decks of the same clan.

For example, if you play a brujah prince deck in group 1-2 you will play with :dom: cards and no :pre: cards.

And if you want to swap to playing a brujah prince deck in group 4-5 you will play with :pre: cards and because dmitra is so good, you will want to add some :for: and/or :obf:.

On the same level, if you play Follower of Set, you will add or not some :dom: cards accordingly with your crypt choice.

There is something called "clan disciplines" but it is mostly some guidelines for card designers.

More
27 May 2014 07:31 - 27 May 2014 07:32 #62799 by jamesatzephyr

Example, You can have a brujah deck, and then as you see fit you can pick any brujah from some groups and play the deck.

Erm, not really.

Good players craft the library and crypt for reasonable synergy. A good EuroBrujah deck makes use of the proliferation of midbie titles and offclan Dominate. Ventrue Law Firm (group 1-2) plays very differently to Obfuscate Ventrue (group 2 centred). A Hermana Blood Brothers deck plays quite differently from a Group 2 Blood Brothers deck, even though they have the same clan disciplines. A crypt selection for any clan that can access a reasonable amount of off-clan Dominate or Fortitude will play quite differently from a crypt selection that can't - Fortitude provides multi-acting capability, and Dominate provides Deflection, which can significantly alter your attitude to pool gain, defence and ousting. Group 1-2 Malkavians can put together a really quite terrifying (if somewhat fragile) Madness Network Rotschreck deck, due in part to a combination of Protean (easy agg damage, Homunculus) and titles (defence), not easily replicated elsewhere.

If you want to go further down the groups line you can grab those vampires and play them using the "same deck" cause they have what is called "Clan Disciplines"

That's really missing the point of having different things available to you in a CCG.

If Group 1 Malkavians had been designed originally with Dementation, you would generally expect later groupings to have mixed things up a bit. This is the group pairing that focuses a bit more on Dementation with titles, this group pair has a smattering of more wall-y vampires, this group pair has less Obfuscate but a bit more Obtenebration etc.
Last edit: 27 May 2014 07:32 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds