check Impulse, The As Played Window and You...

21 Sep 2011 17:44 #10742 by Ankha

Declaring terms is done before DI gets to be played. Hence, I suppose, the confusion of the OP.

This means that you declare terms before you replace your card, because you play D.I. before you replace the card. Wow. I guess a lot of people are going to have to start changing how we announce actions.

Yep, although this was always like this.
For masters too. You declare how much you Minion Tap or where Pentex Subversion is going before replacing.
So people play Wash / Sudden Reversal before you replace (like in my question about DI VS Sudden).

It means also that if you replace your Vessel, it's too late to choose and burn a Blood Doll.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2011 17:45 #10743 by Brum

Thanks. Then, another followup Q:

What is the difference between...

"Tap this card to attempt an action" - Enkil Cog, not a cost.

and

"Burn to bleed at +1 bleed as a (D) action." - Strike with Conviction, a cost.

?

I'm rather tired and sleepy, so there might be something obvious I'm overlooking.

To be honest, the change I see is that the second one has a ruling ( [LSJ 20060421] ), and the first one doesn't.

However, I'm putting the wording of SwC to the list of things to monitor.

I thank you for you honesty.

There are Rulings on both cards as "being or not cost" is concerned.

For this specific point (if the effect of the card in question is "cost" or not), I think both have the same type of wording and opposite rulings.
Both state something along the format "do X to attempt Y".
I assume every action starts with its "attempt", ie fulfilling a set of prerequisites in order for the Action to start (tapping a minion, clan/sect/title/etc. restrictions, being able to pay, etc)

wow! While writing this, the following hit me:
You pay every cost -after- the Action resolves without block.
Therefore, regardless of Rulings, neither use of those cards should count as cost, just as prerequisite.

You tap Enkil Cog before you declare the Action. If it is Lucinde playing Parity Shift, you have 3 prerequisites there: Enkil Cog, Prince or Justicar and less pool then someone else.
If someone DI's it, she'll still be Justicar and Enkil Cog will still let her act.

IF you burn Strike with Conviction when you declare the action, again it should be a prerequisite for that action.
If you only burn it after the action is completed, then it is cost.
As simple as that, I think.

So:

Q3: Do you tap Enkil Cog in the same stage in-between-actions that people can use Heidelberg Castle?
I would say no. I would go as far as saying nobody gets Impulse until the Player using the Cog declares the Action.

Q4: When exactly do you burn Strike with Conviction (assuming the Action is not blocked)?

More
21 Sep 2011 18:01 - 21 Sep 2011 18:47 #10744 by Pascal Bertrand

wow! While writing this, the following hit me:
You pay every cost -after- the Action resolves without block.
Therefore, regardless of Rulings, neither use of those cards should count as cost, just as prerequisite.

No. Pay cost of the action when it is successful, before resolution.
Example: Pay 1 blood for Torrent Fleetness before entering combat. Pay 3 pool for Veles' Hunt before choosing terms.

You tap Enkil Cog before you declare the Action. If it is Lucinde playing Parity Shift, you have 3 prerequisites there: Enkil Cog, Prince or Justicar and less pool then someone else.
If someone DI's it, she'll still be Justicar and Enkil Cog will still let her act.

IF you burn Strike with Conviction when you declare the action, again it should be a prerequisite for that action.
If you only burn it after the action is completed, then it is cost.
As simple as that, I think.

One side-effect of the current wording is that, if you tap the Ambulance after a combat in which the Imbued burned the SwC to have the Imbued's SwC continue, it will fizzle.

So:

Q3: Do you tap Enkil Cog in the same stage in-between-actions that people can use Heidelberg Castle?
I would say no. I would go as far as saying nobody gets Impulse until the Player using the Cog declares the Action.

Correct. [LSJ 20090209]

Q4: When exactly do you burn Strike with Conviction (assuming the Action is not blocked)?

Right before resolution, when action is successful. [LSJ 20070831]
It works just like Bomb.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 18:47 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
21 Sep 2011 18:29 - 21 Sep 2011 18:35 #10752 by Brum

No. Pay cost of the action when it is successful, before resolution.
Example: Pay 1 blood for Torrent before entering combat. Pay 3 pool for Veles' Hunt before choosing terms.

Sorry that's what I meant.
And I don't think you mean Torrent, I think you mean Fleetness. ;)

We're both over this for a long time today. :)

Better call it a night.

EDIT:

One side-effect of the current wording is that, if you tap the Ambulance after a combat in which the Imbued burned the SwC to have the Imbued's SwC continue, it will fizzle.

Just like a vampire with one :blood: declaring a Govern and using a Elder Impersonation during block attempts.
Govern fizzels if there is no block.

So, once again, SwC is cost and Enkil Cog is prerequisite.

Goodnight people!
My pElvis has left the building.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 18:35 by Brum.

More
21 Sep 2011 19:20 #10757 by Ankha

Resolving block attempts

6. Reacting Methuselahs can't gain intercept if their attempt to block has at least the same amount of intercept than the action has stealth. If blocking Methuselah declines using the impulse (for doing things such as tapping the KRCG, playing Enhanced Senses, ...) then we follow the usual path (prey / pred / grand prey / grand pred). If one of these players uses the Impulse (taps KRCG, plays Babble, uses Maris' special ability, plays a Wake, ...), the Impulse goes back to the acting Methuselah [goto step 5]. Otherwise, when everyone has passed, if stealth > intercept, block attampt fails [goto step 3], or if stealth <= intercept, block attempt is successful [goto step 7].[/li]

It should be mentioned that, as long as stealth <= intercept, the target of the action can't be changed.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
21 Sep 2011 19:26 #10759 by Pascal Bertrand

Resolving block attempts

6. Reacting Methuselahs can't gain intercept if their attempt to block has at least the same amount of intercept than the action has stealth. If blocking Methuselah declines using the impulse (for doing things such as tapping the KRCG, playing Enhanced Senses, ...) then we follow the usual path (prey / pred / grand prey / grand pred). If one of these players uses the Impulse (taps KRCG, plays Babble, uses Maris' special ability, plays a Wake, ...), the Impulse goes back to the acting Methuselah [goto step 5]. Otherwise, when everyone has passed, if stealth > intercept, block attampt fails [goto step 3], or if stealth <= intercept, block attempt is successful [goto step 7].[/li]

It should be mentioned that, as long as stealth <= intercept, the target of the action can't be changed.

Well, that's quite incorrrect. It happens with Deflection and bleed redirecters because of explicit cardtext. However, it is still perfectly legal to steal someone's vampire via Temptation and, thus, change the targets of the action.
What's missing is that you can't back out.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds