check Impulse, The As Played Window and You...

23 Sep 2011 06:36 #10842 by Lönkka

Declaring terms is done before DI gets to be played. Hence, I suppose, the confusion of the OP.

This means that you declare terms before you replace your card, because you play D.I. before you replace the card. Wow. I guess a lot of people are going to have to start changing how we announce actions.

The actual terms are declared after the Political Action (PS) is succesful.

BUT people tend to want to discuss terms beforehand as to know whether they should just DI Parity Shift immediately or not (or intercept the political action). Just for safety's sake.

In such discussions you could claim that you're not going to pick the player who is pondering DIing as a target (in order, well, not to get the PS DI'd). And if no-one intercepts and voting ensues, you could pick that player as the target of the PS and it would be well too late for her to DI or intercept the action. This is called deal breaking and in some countries is considered bad form and elsewhere clever play... ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
23 Sep 2011 08:45 #10845 by Juggernaut1981
Let me tell you that in general, you shouldn't break deals in Australia if they don't get you a VP immediately... If you break deals, some players will never make a deal with you again.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
23 Sep 2011 09:31 #10847 by Brum
In Portugal is completely frowned upon too.
To the extent of people denying to cross table rescue the vamps of deal breakers. Or cross table vote.

We had a deal breaker once...
I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. B)

More
26 Mar 2012 06:34 #26617 by Chaitan
This is a nice FAQ for impulse but there is still a few questionmarks, mostly related to older LSJ discussions like:
groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/302cefbf5d7ac0f2/1bda0f3a3fe14367?lnk=gst&q=impulse#1bda0f3a3fe14367
groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/b772619ad0f15e91/e150f3edc062d01f?lnk=gst&q=impulse#e150f3edc062d01f
groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/302cefbf5d7ac0f2/82e5ddb07d73307d?lnk=gst&q=impulse#82e5ddb07d73307d

According to these older discussions, passing the impulse can be a deadly mistake. If the enkil cog/madness network methuselah decides to pass instead of taking an action the minion phase is over.

Should this be added to the FAQ or do impulse return to original methuselah regardless what happens?

More
26 Mar 2012 07:39 #26623 by Pascal Bertrand
If everyone passes on using the impulse to declare actions, we move on to the next step (minion phase ends, enter the influence phase).

More
26 Mar 2012 10:06 #26626 by Ankha

It may be worth just deleting the whole thread as the initial post is incorrect on both accounts.

Brum's and Pascal's rulings are of course correct, but when I came here to read this thread, which is obviously meant as a way to explain some of the more obscure and confusing rules to people, I was like "ummm... no?" I appreciate the effort, but don't make these threads if you are not 100% sure how it works. It took me 20 seconds to find the relevant rulings one Usenet.

+1. The initial post not being updated and containing obvious errors such as :

When you declare an action:
  1. All cards you must play when an action "is Announced" are also played before drawing cards back to your hand size (in the game's terms they were played simultaneously)

Example:
Methuselah X has tapped Banjoko and wants to play a Govern the Unaligned at [dom] and also play Seduction at [DOM] targeting Cock Robin. Methuselah X needs to play both cards from their hand at the same time.

This is wrong (I wonder where you got that from). You play the "as the action is announced" cards/effects one by one, replacing them one after the other.

I think Floppy is the most adequate person to produce a faq.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds